P38 4.6 thor engine rocker seal change

· 4 · 2004

Archi

P38 4.6 thor engine rocker seal change
« on: June 11, 2012, 07:15:21 PM »
Okay, one of my rocker cover gaskets are weeping a little oil.  One might think that a little oil will help keep rust down but the wife doesnt like the marks on the garage foor....  dont fancy doing it myself as the throtle body with its water circut, the swirl chamber ect needs to come off... looks like a bit of a job?   Worried there might be more t it that I can see.   Any thoughts?  an idiot guide would be great, or even better someoen fancy the job for an aproprite exchange of cash. Many thanks Graham

georgew

Re: P38 4.6 thor engine rocker seal change
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 10:15:31 PM »
Untill you get someone to do it,

Do you have the correct headed socket and did you try tightening it down a little (with care) ?
They tend to work loose.

george
No need to be stuck for long.
www.recce-gear.co.uk

rangerovering

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 11:21:28 PM »
For the repair....

Remove the covers, clean and thoroughly degrease with brake cleaner or similar non grease leaving substance. Get new rubber gaskets and a can of black liquid gasket - loctite make one I think.

Degrease the mating surface on the cylinder heads. Having degreased the rocker covers, including the seal rim and removed any other old gasket apply an unbroken bead of sealer around the lip, including the bolt holes. Fit the gasket to the cover and press in firmly, making sure the holes line up. 

Apply a small blob of thread lock to each bolt having cleaned and degreased them and refit the cover to the engine. Tighten up evenly and to the correct torque (don't know off the top of my head). You do not need gasket sealer on the lower mating face between the head and the rubber gasket.
Steve

Archi

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 04:00:59 PM »
Hi George, yes tried that, they were loose, but the damage must have been done to the old seal as its still weeping on the o/s bank.

'Rangerovering'  really appriciate the advise, I am very tempted to do this myself, my only concern is the stuff I have to remove from the top of the engine to get to the covers...  Its a 2001 model year with the 'thor'? engine..  I can see the throtle body has a water circut, which will all have to be removed,  and I will have the swirling like air inlets to take off also...  is this all stright forward or are there allsorts of other things I need to worry about.  Dont want to mess this up as with wife will kill me...  its her car.  Many thanks Graham