fitting a disco transfer box into a defender

· 5 · 2151

red 90

fitting a disco transfer box into a defender
« on: February 28, 2012, 09:12:34 PM »
hi, I am fitting a disco transfer box into my defender, can I use the defender brake cable? also do I need to change the speedo drive? any advice would be appreciated. Ta

piper5

Re: fitting a disco transfer box into a defender
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 09:54:38 PM »
hi its a straight swap , uses the same speedo cable, you can use either the whole brake setup from exisiting or donor,  i binned the old rod system and kept the cable setup from the disco,
the only issue i had was the new transfer box came from a 300tdi and i found the hi/low lever was in a different position on the spline and i had to move it round a bit.

i removed the transfer gear, fitted the box then refitted the transfer gear made life so much easier,
if the transfer box is a late one with the electronic speedo drive you do have to swap out but its 2 seconds to do.

what engine wheels etc do you have , i have a 300 with big tyres on a 110 and found disco box to be too much for it, think it would be fine on a 90 with normal wheels

red 90

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 10:38:23 PM »
thanks for the advice, at present I still have the NA 2.5 engine with 750 x16 michelin tyres, I have a 200TDI still to be fitted when i gather all the neccessary bits. At present i am repairing the bulkhead and seat box and took advantage of having easy access to fit the transfer box. thanks again.

piper5

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 07:39:58 AM »
ok i think you will struggle with a 2.5na disco t/box and 750's you may need to fit 205 tyres till you get the tdi fitted,
low range is the same but hi range will be way off

early 2.5 had a 1.6 ratio
all 2.5td 200/300 defenders have a 1.4 ratio
and discos have a 1.2 ratio

time to fit the tdi i think

red 90

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 08:34:03 AM »
I have a set of 205's and can put them back on. the Na struggles on any incline upwards! ta