Oil on brakes shoes/drums

· 4 · 1411

CBRCBR

Oil on brakes shoes/drums
« on: January 14, 2012, 05:45:27 PM »
Hi - I am looking for a bit of advice please:

On my way back from last weeks TYRO (luckily nearly home) my SIII started pulling to the left under braking.  I have stripped the brakes today on the RHS, and they are contaminated with a small amount of thick oil/grease.  It seems as though the hub oil seal has leaked.  Oil must have worked it's way from the stub axle drive shaft back along the stub axle, through the bearings and out via the failed oil seal/distance piece.  That is the only place I can think the oil has come from. 
Very annoying since I did not renew the the oil seal/distance piece when I did all the other work, and the fact that the brake shoes & drums are brand new on both sides.

I have 2 questions:

I know I need to bin the shoes, but can I clean up the drum with Gunk or similar?

Since the shoes were new, can I just replace the shoes on the RHS side or do I need to do both RHS & LHS sides? - (I think I know the answer to this, and it is both sides!)

Thanks for any advice,
Cheers, Clive
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 06:07:56 PM by CBRCBR »

diesel jock

Re: Oil on brakes shoes/drums
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 06:59:51 PM »
hi mate I would clean the drum with petrol or brake cleaner,we do this in work with old tractors as they always leak into the drums as for the shoes if they are just fitted I would just change the affected set

mel

• Name: Patrick McInally
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 01:35:28 PM »
Hi check your breather isnt blocked as the presure inside axle will biuld up and find easiest way out.

CBRCBR

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 07:31:27 PM »
Thanks for the advice guys.

I will try cleaning the drums.  The axle breathers were also replaced recently, but I will remove the front one and check it, along with the hole in the casing.

Cheers, Clive