110 body seal (AML710110)

· 4 · 1671

mudTerrain

110 body seal (AML710110)
« on: June 15, 2011, 06:08:25 PM »
Hello,

I've just bought one of these in preparation for replacing my body cappings - it's not what I was expecting, though...

Can anybody point me in the direction of some diagrams of the body construction so I can figure out how this seal fits, please?  The best I've found so far is this... http://lrcat.com/31/4/52731  Despite it being in Russian, it's fairly helpful, but the seal in this diagram doesn't look like the one I've just bought...

I take it I need two of these - one for each side?

Any help or advice would be gratefully received :)

Thanks,

Paul

mel

• Name: Patrick McInally
Re: 110 body seal (AML710110)
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 10:14:56 AM »
HI Paul the body seal onto the cappings is basiclly sticky-back foam which sits in a grove,
if you are lifting roof and side pannels off together then you will need a body seal for both sides and also
the upper windscreen seal. Hope this helps,paddy.

georgew

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 10:58:54 AM »
You can use old pushbike innertubes or car ones, or other suitable material..

Just cut gaskets/seals to keep metal to metal apart & try not to have water traps
by cutting neatly & trimming.
Do one side with loving care & use as a template for the other side.
'Much Cheapness'.
george

No need to be stuck for long.
www.recce-gear.co.uk

mudTerrain

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 09:16:51 PM »
Thanks chaps :)

I'm hoping to remove the sides without having to lift the roof off, following the instructions on this chaps website : http://www.land-rover-blog.co.uk/how-to-remove-the-hard-top-sides-on-a-land-rover-defender/.

Seeing as the seal I've bought was dead cheap, I'll probably just order another one - would have been nice if they'd said "you'll need two" but that's eBay for you, I suppose...

Paul