Steering Guards and Steering Dampers

· 2 · 1393

mudTerrain

Steering Guards and Steering Dampers
« on: June 03, 2011, 05:10:14 PM »
Hello,

At some point in the past, somebody's come of a significant second best against a rock, snapped the steering guard on my Td5 and killed the steering damper.

I've managed to get the (well rusted on) guard off, so now I'm trying to figure out what to replace it with.

The standard Td5 steering guard is a steel bar, mounted to the chassis at four points - I want to go for the more usual plate type (e.g. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170641835954&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_500wt_1156") you tend to see all the time in magazines etc.  So, I was wondering whether anybody could offer an opinion on whether aluminium or steel is best to go for, whether there's a minimum thickness I ought to go for/avoid and what exactly "three part" guards are.

Anyway, the steering guard's one thing...I also need a new steering damper as mine now has no oil in it.  Can anybody recommend a make or are they pretty much a muchness as it were?  TerraFirma seem to get good reviews - has anybody got one?  I'm assuming my dead one is non-RTC (which I'm also assuming means non-return to centre) - why would anybody want an RTC damper?

Sorry to be all questions again...

Thanks,

Paul
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 07:00:48 PM by mudTerrain »

mudTerrain

Re: Steering Guards and Steering Dampers
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 09:21:33 PM »
Well, in the end, I went for one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Terrafirma-RTC-steering-damper-Defender-110-/220626223964?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item335e59035c#ht_1395wt_905

I've not driven far, but the difference compared to my old blown damper is amazing!

I'm still trying to get the old bolts out of my chassis before I can fit a new steering guard :(

One job down, a million to go... :)

Paul