LPG or Not

· 38 · 8075

georgew

Re: LPG or Not
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2011, 07:46:58 PM »
POHA,
 is this knowledge gained from the experience you have had yourself running a V8 on LPG?

How many miles were you covering before there were problems & on which engine or engines?

george
No need to be stuck for long.
www.recce-gear.co.uk

rangerovering

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2011, 10:46:27 PM »
POHA,
 is this knowledge gained from the experience you have had yourself running a V8 on LPG?

How many miles were you covering before there were problems & on which engine or engines?

george

Must echo this question.

There is no reason for an RV8 that is set up correctly to burn valves. If running very very lean (which is difficult if it is to run at all!) then it could get hot enough to do it but it is more likely to melt a piston first.

I know of many RV8's on lpg with at least a collective mileage of several hundred thousand.
Steve

mac

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2011, 08:31:11 AM »
since always

I'd not bother - for the amount of miles and the cost of conversion you'll not regain the money any time soon.  plus LPG will burn the valves of a rover V8

Since when?

::)  Rubbish.  Fitted correctly and more importantly, set up correctly, LPG on a Rover V8 is actually better for the engine not worse.  I've fitted plenty, drove many and know several people who still run them as road cars approaching 200K on the clocks now.  As long as it's serviced (both LPG and normal servicing) at 8k it will continue to run well until (or even after as it's such a forgiving engine) the camshaft wears out!

ffourphantomfixer

• Name: Andrew Forrest
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2011, 04:26:14 PM »
Well that explains why a 130 bhp Rover 75 kicks my Disco' ass.
I thought a disco was 1.7 tons (its in the Land Rover hand book as that)
Drew.
She said at my age I need something else to play with

geoffg

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2011, 05:39:45 PM »
RPi Engineering, who are the guru's when it comes to Rover V8's, fit LPG to their engines.
Lots of info here:
http://www.v8engines.com/

Geoff :)

rangerovering

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2011, 07:27:07 PM »
RPi Engineering, who are the guru's when it comes to Rover V8's, fit LPG to their engines.
Lots of info here:

cough erm yeah, right  ::) Sorry don't rate RPi at all, I know they have built some good engines but there is a lot of fluff on their site. They are happy to sell you lots of trick bits and charge lots of money, plus if you have a problem with anything they have sold you they are not interested.
Steve

geoffg

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2011, 07:42:05 PM »
cough erm yeah, right  ::) Sorry don't rate RPi at all, I know they have built some good engines but there is a lot of fluff on their site. They are happy to sell you lots of trick bits and charge lots of money, plus if you have a problem with anything they have sold you they are not interested.
I have never heard anyone slag off RPi as you do. I therefore wander if you have ever dealt with them personally. Chris Crane and his wife are two of the most helpful people you could deal with. I have always had replies from them for any questions I have regarding the RPi engine I have, and I didn't even buy it from them. They are true enthusiasts and professionals.

georgew

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2011, 07:57:43 PM »
Steve they are wonderful to deal with IME & IMO.

'Chris' has been building & dealing in V8's since the days he got involved with the first SD1's.
He will do anything to help.
Prepared to spend valuably time to help without there being a sale at the end of it.
The office staff are just amazing in going the extra mile to help in anyway.

Customers all over the world receive a great service & are repeat customers.
Many fly in to choose their engine build
 & drive demonstrators & receive hospitality even if they
decided not to be a customer.

I have meet some past & present customers & never heard a complaint.
(read some comments online from people but dont ever hear what there actual bad experience was,
so must wonder if they heard stories from others.)

There are expensive parts available if you choose to buy,
(lots of Morgan owners are customers)
 & parts that are as competitive as you will find anywhere else, if not cheaper.

george
www.recce-gear.co.uk

rangerovering

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2011, 10:48:40 AM »
Not meaning to start an argument but yes I have dealt with them before. Had running problems about 5 years ago and I got a long  and lengthy sales pitch from someone at RPi on the benefits of Magnecor leads and why a RV8 cannot possibly run well without them. Then why I must have an RPi power amp to run on LPG and only then would they be interested in helping cure my misfire  >:( TBH within 10seconds flat I was getting talked to like I had no idea what was fitted to the car and that the person on the other end knew more about the problem having not looked at or heard the engine running!

Fact is that ultimately the rocker arms and cam were knackered and all those bits would have not made one jot of difference. Not saying for a minute that they are not capable of good things, however my experience and that of several others I know are of vastly overpriced products and no help at all when you have a problem with things you buy from them.
I know of 3 people who have bought followers from RPi (usually as cam kits) and when starting the engine up they rattle and tap like crazy, phone up RPi and get told "oh no it's nothing to do with what we've supplied" and the phone gets put down on you. They would not admit to having quality issues with parts and getting a refund was like pulling teeth.

So personally I am not really a fan!

« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 11:08:43 AM by rangerovering »
Steve

georgew

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2011, 11:43:02 AM »
Thats kind of why in my first post in reply to the OP,
 i mentioned the need for a 'sound engine', before fitting LPG.

Sellers & suppliers cant do much about the stuff they supply which suits a certain job,
which is usually a correctly operating engine.

IMHO If something is running like a bag of nails its not worth upgrading
& tuning untill its maintained & running to an expected level of standard performance.

ie You cant really blame a company for being unaware your 'rocker arms & cams were knackered'.
Seems to me they were fair in thinking it was a 'sound engine' you were asking about the parts for.

george
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 11:44:59 AM by georgew »
www.recce-gear.co.uk

rangerovering

« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2011, 06:09:43 PM »
Thats kind of why in my first post in reply to the OP,
 i mentioned the need for a 'sound engine', before fitting LPG.

Sellers & suppliers cant do much about the stuff they supply which suits a certain job,
which is usually a correctly operating engine.

IMHO If something is running like a bag of nails its not worth upgrading
& tuning untill its maintained & running to an expected level of standard performance.

ie You cant really blame a company for being unaware your 'rocker arms & cams were knackered'.
Seems to me they were fair in thinking it was a 'sound engine' you were asking about the parts for.

george

Except when they were explicitely told that it had new and good condition genuine LR ignition leads cap and rotor arm.
Steve

POAH

• Quantum Capture automotive Photography
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2011, 05:23:47 PM »
I have LPG on my 110 V8 and I'll not use it.  LPG does not cool the cylinder like petrol does so can get very hot.  the jag based 4.4 V8 is also particularly bad for problems if run on LPG.  its is not an instant problem but one that builds up over time.  the problem will be made worse with poor ignition and timing. 

POHA,

george

POAH

« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2011, 05:25:03 PM »
oh dear

Lots of info here:

georgew

« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2011, 05:46:09 PM »
 Sorry but totally confused now by the revelation that petrol acts as a coolant,
 but thats my normal state.

I am happy that the combustion happens with petrol or gas or ethenol or even nitros when the piston is up
& there is compression & combustion.

oil & coolant circulating in the block is all the cooling that i have ever needed.

I have never run LPG on an air cooled engine.
You are correct on poor ignition & timing making things worse,
but then you need to be pretty stupid to run poor ignition & timing i would think.

Off to strip out my Gas conversion now,
 after the words of wisdom, thanks POHA.
george
www.recce-gear.co.uk

POAH

« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2011, 05:56:43 PM »
why do you think turbo charged cars run richer than N/A cars

Sorry but totally confused now by the revelation that petrol acts as a coolant,
 but thats my normal state.