300tdi convertion..... gearbox crossmember question.

· 6 · 1840

Scott110

300tdi convertion..... gearbox crossmember question.
« on: April 12, 2011, 10:57:27 PM »
Hi guys and Gals.
Well the engine is in and running sweet as a nut all i got to do now it fit up the exuast once i figure it out. Was sent all the wrong parts.
Im useing the standard Defender/Discovery decat downpipe. Ill fit this to a centre box  replacment straight through then onto standard 300tdi rear box. Just gota figure out what centre peice to allow for the engine sitting further back .
Is there any diffrence between the gearbox crossmembers as i have been reading of specific 300tdi crossmembers but cant find any pics online. The one fitted to my 110 is flat and about 4 inches deep.
Cheers.
Scott
1988 Defender 110 300tdi. Bit of an animal.
1998 Defender 90 300tdi. The new pup.

piper5

Re: 300tdi convertion..... gearbox crossmember question.
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 08:38:48 AM »
hi scott i had an issue with mine i didn't do the conversion but the motor was a 2.5na diesel it is now a 300 with r380 g/box, when i fitted a new exhaust thw whole system fitted except the front pipe it was about 2 inches too long i cut 2" out the straight bit that goes over the gearbox crossmember, i presume whoever did the coversion used the old engine mounts causing the engine to be 2" back.
you will find some of the exhaust mounts dont line up but the brackets on the chassis are there
i bought a full 300tdi exhaust and fitted it from the back fixing brackets as i went that means now if i have an issue i can fit a standard middle and rear (which are generally what rots) if the front pipe ever needs done its a standard pipe shorted by 2" in a staight section
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 08:42:21 AM by piper5 »

Scott110

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 05:53:40 PM »
Thanks for the info and your spot on the original exaust brackets are now out of position. I got the front pipe to fit but as the 300tdi is sitting a good 4-6 inches further back in the bay compared to the 19j its very close at the gearbox mounts but pases over the crossmember. So close infact im going to grind a small half moon shape out the gearbox mount..not so much the mount will be weakened but enough so the exaust does not lye aginst it. Ill do what you done and then build it from back to front putting a standard 300tdi rear exaust section and find a central straight through pipe to join the pair. I have a feeling a disco centre pipe will work as its alot shorter than a 110 equivilant. If not it be a cut and weld job on the centre pipe. Appriciate the advice.
Scott

piper5

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 06:02:51 PM »
what have you done with the fan , you will need to fit a electric fan or extend the cowling on the existing one other wise it gets hot

Scott110

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 09:45:28 PM »
I did have the option to pinch the nice new extended couling of my petrol 90 as the engine in that sits far back similar to the 300tdi but in the end bought a Kenoyleee elecy job. Im hoping to have the exaust issue sorted by the wkend really just a case of finding a centre pipe if i cant i may have to get something made. I could have used the conversion downpipe but their the same boar as the 19j and the 300tdi is alot bigger. I want the engine to breath freely as my 200tdi 110 although a defender engine has the same smaller diamater and you can really notice the turbo lagg as the thing tries to spin up. Not wanting racing car performance but anything to help fuel econemy and less stress on the engine for longlife. Do admit the 200tdi sounds like a bag of hammers in a washing maching compared to the super smooth 300tdi.

piper5

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 10:24:46 PM »
leccy fan a wise choice i have the extended cowling but i intend to go down the leccy route soon on long hauls in warm weather it runs a tad hot nothing dangerous but up over half with a new bigger capacity rad fitted