Fuel Pumps

· 3 · 1324

mike66

• Name: Mike Wheeler
Fuel Pumps
« on: March 03, 2011, 11:14:12 AM »
Hi,

The mechanical fuel pump on my 2.25 petrol has packed up AGAIN!!!!! So I was thinking of replacing it with a facet electric pump (hoping for more longgevity).

What I'm need to find out is what psi the original pump put out, I'm guessing it can't be more than 4/5 psi, does anyone know?

Has anyone done else done this and has any advise?

Cheers Mike

cooltshirt

• savethegaywhale.com
Re: Fuel Pumps
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 04:07:11 PM »
When I built a rally car I fitted a silver (I think) facet pump near the tank and a filter king in the engine bay.
The two were linked with flexible pipe and copper micro bore (8mm) central heating pipe. This seemed to be common practice.

The filter king can be adjusted to deliver the correct pressure. I can't imagine you'd need any more than 4psi, possibly as little as 2.5psi. I had 4.5 psi feeding twin 40mm weber DCOE's and they never had any problems. The 8mm ensures plenty of fuel is delivered and you don't want any more pressure than is required otherwise you'll give the car float bowl needle valve an unnecessarily hard time. 

In my experience facet are good pumps and correctly fitted lots of problems are history!

Good luck :)
1983 110 V8. RIP

mike66

• Name: Mike Wheeler
Re: Fuel Pumps
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 09:35:35 PM »
Cheers for the reply,

I've ordered a facet pump and hopefully this should last the test of time!!

Hope I get more than 6 month out of it, unlike the britpat ones I've had problems with ;)