changing rear a frame ball joint

· 4 · 1282

brido

changing rear a frame ball joint
« on: February 10, 2011, 04:49:21 PM »
hi all just wondering if this is a job for someone with limited experence or should i put into garage to get done does anyone have any diagram on how to do this thank you brido :)
Brian Taylor M168 OMS

sardass

• Mountain Rescue Search Dogs
Re: changing rear a frame ball joint
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 05:22:56 PM »
As long as you have got a vice and some good tools you should be able to do this job yourself,
Paul Martin
www.sarda.org.uk
Disco 300TDI

Scott110

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 05:29:34 PM »
You can save money by removing the entire aframe if the bolts are not seized solid so the local garage only needs to knock out the old balljoint and press in the new one. To remove the entire aframe in one go start at the balljoint lossen castle nut then wack accordingly until the balljoint seperates from the axle. then find the 2 big bolts that hold the aframe arms to the chassis brackets. They can be real tight so big extention bar and ring spanners needed.
Dont try to remove the chassis brackets the 3 bolts either side are normally seized solid and being stupidly small always break.

refitting is reverse about the hardest part is the axle rotates slightly whent he balljoint is seperated nothing you can sort with leverage.

keep checking the castle nut for a few weeks after refitting.

Also worth renewing your upper aframe bushings.

Evryhting can be done with all 4 wheels on the ground. The landrover wont fall ontop of you lol.

1988 Defender 110 300tdi. Bit of an animal.
1998 Defender 90 300tdi. The new pup.

brido

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 06:03:58 PM »
That's great thanks to both of you for getting back to me that's what I'll do I'll take it off and take it to a garage I ve been soaking nuts and bolts with wd 40 for last couple of days so hope they come off ok thanks brido
Brian Taylor M168 OMS