1994 300tdi defender brakes, help

· 2 · 1665

Dave T

1994 300tdi defender brakes, help
« on: January 22, 2011, 03:33:05 PM »
I was trying to do a simple little job today, replace the rear pads on a 1994 90 300tdi. I noticed that one of them the outer pad was barely worn whilst the inner was almost done. On investigation it appears that the pad was being pushed by the anti rattle spring on top of it into the disc and had actually worn a small groove in it, and so no matter how hard the pedal was pushed the groove kept the pad away from the disc. There just seems to be nothing to keep the pad from being pushed into the disc (end on) by the spring, they can just push straight through the caliper. They are the same pads as the new ones that I have bought and are correct going by chassis number. The pistons are both free.

There would appear to be a couple of different options here:

1. Am I missing something incredibly obvious here - don't think so

2. Are these standard calipers, both are the same on the back Lockheed 3242-292.c and the front are also Lockheed? If they aren't what are they from and what pads do I need?

3. Looking at the Haynes manual it does show some pads that the pins actually go through but it says they are from 2002 model year onwards and not a 1994?

I really need to change these pads but have no idea which ones I need, help  >:( >:(

1994 Defender 90
2016 D4 Graphite

scotscim

Re: 1994 300tdi defender brakes, help
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 04:55:39 PM »
Hi
I have just had the same problem and had to get another caliper. It seams a common problem, there could also be a score mark on the hub where the pad has droped through.
Yours should be the early ones with pin over pads.

Greig
Greig

1996 Defender 110 300tdi station wagon

1953 series 1 80 inch