galvanised capping 90

· 4 · 1498

elliecooking1

galvanised capping 90
« on: January 03, 2011, 07:29:10 PM »
I hope to renew the rust steel capping on my 90. I've been looking on ebay with no result as of yet. I take it this has to be bought from LR shot blasted and then galv dipped. Is it an easy job to lift the roof at the tub and replace the capping not breaking the front seal? Again any help is appreciated.

mel

• Name: Patrick McInally
Re: galvanised capping 90
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 08:45:36 PM »
HI I DONE THIS BY MYSELF IN A STANDARD GARAGE,GOT GALVANISED CAPPINGS FROM GEMM 4X4 AND NEW SEALS,SUSPENDED FROM UNDERSIDE OF GARAGE AND DROVE LANDROVER OUT,DRILLED OUT RIVETS AND REMOVED CAPPINGS. FITTED NEW CAPPINGS ,HAVING TO DRILL SOME NEW HOLES AS SOME WERE IN DIFFERENT PLACES TO MINE.PUT NEW SEALS ON  AND REVEARSED INTO GARAGE AND LOWERED ROOF BACK ON.WOULD HAVE BEEN EASYER WITH TWO PEOPLE ALTHOUGH IT DEPENDS WHERE YOUR WORKING.HOPE THIS HELPS JUST PRE-SOAK CORNER BOLTS A FEW DAYS BEFORE.GOOD LUCK STAY IN ARMADALE IF THAT IS CLOSE BYE TO GIVE A HAND,PADDY.

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 09:10:04 PM »
I'd not worry too much about the seal at the front, easy enough to renew while the roof is off. You'll have a far easier time of it if you take the whole roof off.    
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

elliecooking1

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 08:54:28 AM »
Many thanks for the quick reply and the info. That job is a long way off yet but one i do plan for the future. I will look into gemm 4x4 for the parts and seals etc. Thanks for the offer of a hand. I may need it yet. I stay at Arrochar and do not know the distance to yours. How long did it take you to complete the job?