TD5 Disco air suspension problem.

· 27 · 14126

JD6920

TD5 Disco air suspension problem.
« on: December 18, 2010, 11:25:53 AM »
Hi, as the post states, having issues with the air suspension on one side of the disco. Had the air bag replaced, didn't cure the problem. So I'm thinking the sensor may be the problem. Does anyone have any experience of the same issue?
It's an odd fault, it will inflate correctly when you start the car, be fine all one day then do the sink down deal 5 times the next day,grrrrr! So there doesn't seem to be any pattern to it, that's why I'm think dodgy sensor, anybody have any thoughts?

cheers, Jim
I Farm - You Eat

jay2578

Re: TD5 Disco air suspension problem.
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 12:24:50 PM »
When you replace the airbags you need to re-calibrate the sensor.... not too sure how, but there will be online info

scotdub

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 02:13:14 PM »
Would it be better going to a local garage and get them try there diagnostic machine on it. if it is electrical it would come up on there machine as a fault, mite help in your serch for whats wrong.

Don't know if it would work but have you tryed disconnecting the battery and leaving it for 10 mins see if it resets itself mite not work but worth a try.

Gary

jay2578

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 02:18:58 PM »
Bit like I.T crowd?..... Tried turning it off, then back on again

JD6920

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2010, 05:19:41 PM »
Ha thanks for the repies, the goofy thing is if you let it sit for 20/30 minutes it re-inflates itself and will stay up for an undetermined time. So yeah we've tried the IT crowd fix,haha. The bag on the problem side was replaced a few months ago as it exploded, which leads me to suspect the sensor might be acting up?
I've ordered a new sensor, think I'll need to take it to LR or find someone with the machine to do it for calibration, I'm seriously considering just taking the bags out and putting coils on it, save a lot of time and hassle. Hopefully the sensor will be here on Monday, so we'll see how we get on once it's fitted.
Anyone want to swap a '04 Td5 Disco ES for a 300tdi 90 Lol!
I Farm - You Eat

geoff

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 05:50:20 PM »
When you replace the airbags you need to re-calibrate the sensor.... not too sure how, but there will be online info

I've done two airbags and didn't need to re-calibrate anything. The ECU wont know the airbag is missing.

cheers

Geoff

jay2578

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2010, 05:53:07 PM »
If you replace an airbag its a brand new bit of rubber and SHOULD be calibrated, of course you don`t have to, but you`ll want to if and when the motor starts sitting at an angle

gary1968

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2010, 07:05:43 PM »
I replaced both the air springs on my td5 disco and didn't have tog et it calibrated. You will however need to get it calibrated after fitting a new sensor.......

Gary

jay2578

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2010, 07:38:19 PM »
Could well go bang after a while though as the newer rubber isn`t as softened as the old

Sooty

• been there winched that
  • Name: mike robertson
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2010, 08:20:50 PM »
Could well go bang after a while though as the newer rubber isn`t as softened as the old

do you know what you are talking about?
as it sounds like you dont......

why would you need to recalibrate the sensor after replacing the bag? the peramiters the sensor is working through hasnt changed between an old bag & new bag,

to the original poster what brand of bag did you use? if you park the vehicle with one wheel up on a curb etc so the suspension is slightly flexed does it make the bag go down quicker or go down at all?
it could well be a case that the air pipe to the bag has chaffed on the body & is very close to going pop & at the moment its just bleeding the air off slowly
i would jack the rear of the car up & allow the suspension to droop slightly then check the air pipes where the come out the top of the bag for rubbing on the bottom lip of the body
Started out with nothing,
Still have most of it left

jay2578

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2010, 08:49:26 PM »
Having had three airbags replaced(two on the father-in-laws) I`d say i had a fair idea

Sooty

• been there winched that
  • Name: mike robertson
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2010, 08:54:22 PM »
Having had three airbags replaced(two on the father-in-laws) I`d say i had a fair idea

meh
having replaced aprox 20+ bags in a 4 1/2 year period working for 2 landy independents i think i trump you  ;D ;)
Started out with nothing,
Still have most of it left

jay2578

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2010, 09:02:06 PM »
Maybe stratstones were just over doing it so they could charge us extra then ??? They do wear expensive suits, and they need paying for!!!

geoff

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2010, 09:37:23 PM »

meh
having replaced aprox 20+ bags in a 4 1/2 year period working for 2 landy independents i think i trump you  ;D ;)

;D ;D

mac

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2010, 10:44:18 PM »
I would either look at the pipes (as stated) or the valve block, which you can get rebuild kits for.