mudpuddle

Insurance Is due?
« on: September 15, 2010, 04:38:25 PM »
Just looking to see if anyone could recommend a good insurance company who would cover my modified Land Rover. I know I could look through one of the mags but they dont tell you how good they are or how bad they are. ???

geoffg

Re: Insurance Is due?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 05:30:46 PM »
I have the 110, modified, insured with Premium Choice as recommended by George W, who I bought the vehicle from. They understand modified Land Rovers and are cheap.
http://www.premiumchoice.co.uk/
Geoff :)

mac

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 06:23:55 PM »
Adrian Flux have insured almost everything I've owned.  They are good on modified and competition vehicles.  Never had to claim though so can't comment on that side of it  :-\  Some folk recommend NFU but in my experience they aren't good on anything that is away from the 'run of the mill'.

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 09:09:47 PM »
I'm with NFU. Their agency in Stirling is good to deal with but their claims folk and the contractors who assess damage etc are SHOCKING. I'd agree that they are no good for anything with mods, some of their staff don't even understand the basic models - I had a major job persuading one that there were other 2.5 diesels than a Td5.

If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

Scott110

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 12:20:02 AM »
Hi
I use as broker called Sureterm4x4. They got me a deal with a comapny called enterprise. Fully comp, trailer cover, stereo cover, breakdown etc etc and a nice one greenlane cover if i accidently venture over the border. ?105. Got the details by useing that well known website for confused people but have used sureterm for 8 years now.
1988 Defender 110 300tdi. Bit of an animal.
1998 Defender 90 300tdi. The new pup.

Sandy

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 07:44:02 AM »
I too am an NFU client and use the Stirling office, which is very efficient and friendly. In past years I have been assured that I am covered for MudMaster and assumed that all was well on Green Road Runs etc.

In April of this year I received a copy of a reply sent to Andy Norrie by NFU Stirling which suggests (as I read it) that there is no useful cover on such events. This may have been sorted by now (and I'll contact Andy later today to ask) but if not I fear I too may be looking elsewhere. However, are these other companies really giving proper cover off-road?

This is what NFU said:

I have forwarded details of green laning cover to our Head Office in Stratford in a hope that our cover will be extended to include this activity. Is it is not currently covered by NFU Mutual policy. As this is product change we could be looking at 3 to 6 months before a decision is made. The Road Traffic Act element of cover remains in force whilst off road because basically you cannot exclude any responsibility under the act but physical damage to the vehicle is excluded.

The current exclusion which appears on both our certificates of insurance and our policy documentation details uninsured use as:racing,speed testing, rallies and competitions, (other than safety rallies and treasure hunts) trials or track days.

We do have a unique feature that our farmers who carry business use cover will have off road cover whilst the vehicle is being used in connection with the farm business.

If we receive any product change, you will be notified immediately.

Regards

Stirling Agency
David Jackson,Agent
NFU Office
Caledonian Mart
Millhall
Stirling

Hope this helps.

Sandy.

lreay

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 08:35:02 AM »
I'm currently with Premium Choice with a policy by KGM, this has two additional endorsements, which may cover some offroading.

OFF - 4x4 off Road
It is agreed that cover is operative under the policy whilst the insured vehicle is used for club arranged off-road open days or club arranged green lane events.

RAL - Rallies and Events
Participation in rallies, shows and events is included under this insurance provided there is no invlovement in racing, pace making, speed testing or time trials nor if the vehicle is used for hire or reward.

Cheers
Luke
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 09:02:53 AM by lreay »

coolcamper55

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 08:38:13 AM »
Luke
Sorry to be pedantic but should it be reward as opposed to award. I askin the context that if you are to be awarded a prize, trophy then the cover would be void.
Again apologies but 30 years negotiating contracts leaves one highly suspicious of small print

Tommy

lreay

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 08:46:03 AM »
Thanks Tommy, yes a typo by me, I've corrected it.

Cheers
Luke

georgew

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2010, 10:53:05 AM »
I often recommend Premium Choice, gained them many customers.
 I have been with them since they were Road Sure & had many policies with them.

3 years ago i quized the wording in the policy on the phone, recieved several calls that promted PC to check further,
& after several letters back & fore between me & PC and rubbish talked by KGM, to PC & then direct to me,
 i told them i would go public with the exclusions in the policy that exclude things that they say you are covered for.
Trading Standards & Insurance industry watchdogs etc
(they got my dander up)

They put in writting to me that 'where i have permission from a land owner or can legally drive 'offroad'
i had cover for claims by 3rd parties, & damage etc to my vehicle.
Paraphrasing.

Club events were ok, marshalling etc etc.
Racing, rallying etc etc excluded.

When all was done & settled i was happy with the cover.
Really good for the price paid.
Next year the cover instead of called '4x4 policy'
Now called  'Cherished'
& the exclusion are all there.
race, rally,test circuit or
ON ANY OFF ROAD COARSE OR GROUND.

I am still with Premium Choice for my modified vehicle for road cover, (much cheapness)
I have had a claim & it was good service from Premium Choice..
Policy uses & gains no NCB but you must still inform your other insurers of any incident & claim.

The KGM policy & cover 'offroad' Must be taken with a pinch of salt as to cover while not on the public highway,
English Green Lanes are public highway & are fully covered.

If i have a 'fair' claim from an incident 'offroad' thats disputed, i will need to leave it to a Court to see what they make of the stuff i recieved from KGM 3 years ago.
george

« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 01:08:32 PM by georgew »
No need to be stuck for long.
www.recce-gear.co.uk

Truckster

• Really must fit A/T's..........
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2010, 06:09:31 PM »
Interesting to read comments on NFU. I have the Goddess and blue oval ( transit van) covered with NFU. I am covered for any 'non timed' off-roading with the Goddess,and i had no problem in getting it. With the classic policy i had previously with Adrian Flux, i wasnt even covered to take my truck across a field!!! Both were competatively priced, but A.F had an issue with transfering NCB from my broken van, back onto the Goddess. I wanted off-road cover as well, and as i had 'commercial' no claims, i was told that it couldnt be transferred, and when they did give me a quote, it was highly priced and with some obscure company id never heard of. ??? NFU had no problem transferring NCB-couldnt understand what A.F's problem was.
 When i got hit by the delivery van, i have no complaint with the way my local office in Cupar handled my claim,although i'll agree with Gene-the accident repair centre were less than sympathetic-to them it was just another accident damaged vehicle...it was the GODDESS they had in their compound, not any old bashed motor!!! Once i told them that, the head guy was a lot more helpfull!!
The legal department that i have been dealing with,which the NFU have provided FOC with my comprehensive cover, regarding the claim are hopeless-not impressed at all.

Saying that though, i would recommend NFU, especially for Landrover cover, as i have found my branch very helpfull,not only with my vehicle cover, but house and livestock too.
At the end of the day, its finding cover which suits your need.

Good luck  :)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 08:06:37 PM by Truckster »
Mel ( & canine navigators )
109 Station Wagon-'The Goddess'- Sick Chassis...gutted!!
109 Station Wagon-'Firefly'-in need of tlc!!!
109 Ex-mil Rolling Chassis
Mk5 Blue Oval ( Goddess in training!!)

sj72blair

• Name: Steven Blair
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2010, 06:44:49 PM »
I have two modified 127's both with engine changes and various other mods insured with Adrian Flux,both fully comp policies with one on 5000 miles a year and the otheer on 6000 miles a year and both about ?230 each. My main hassle has been Adrian Flux losing paperwork that I was asked to send them, everything is now sent recorded delivery with them sending an email to confirm reciept.

I also have a policy with Frank Pickles who seem to operate the principal the the more modifications the better the policy price is! They also do a parts only policy designed for kit cars(also covers Tom Cats) which means if you have a claim you get the price of the parts to repair the car but use your own labour to put it right which helps to keep the policy price down. I insure a coiled 88" series 3 with full cage, twin shocks and a v8 for ?165 for fully comp on 3000 miles a year.

cheers,
           Stevie.   

mudpuddle

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2010, 01:56:15 PM »
Spoke to a nice man at Surterm and got a good quote. Hopefully will never need to claim. Hears hopeing

Daveb1971

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2010, 06:23:54 PM »
I'm with NFU. Their agency in Stirling is good to deal with but their claims folk and the contractors who assess damage etc are SHOCKING. I'd agree that they are no good for anything with mods, some of their staff don't even understand the basic models - I had a major job persuading one that there were other 2.5 diesels than a Td5.

The NFU quote was cheaper than my current insurers but would not cover my softtop from theft between the hours of 22.00 & 06.00 as it is parked on my drive seemed strange but thats what the local agent told me over the landline so stuck with Norton as they have never had problems with it residing on my drive
If you wanted it yesterday why not wait and ask me for it tomorrow