Bl**dy Landy!!!!

· 14 · 3017

mike66

• Name: Mike Wheeler
Bl**dy Landy!!!!
« on: June 16, 2010, 09:36:18 PM »
Hello, I'm after some help with my series 3.

When I'm driving it runs sweet and pulls well, but after 3 or 4 miles it dies, if I catch it before it dies and knock it out of gear it ticks over fine. But when I press the accelarator the engine slows down to stop, take my foot of the pedal the engine speeds up!!!! It then runs fine for a few miles.

Its also a pain to start now,, which it wasn't before. :'(

Should of said its a 2.25 petrol.

Buffalo Bill

• Name: Bill Conner
Re: Bl**dy Landy!!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 09:38:32 PM »
Hi mate fuel filter or coil. worth changing both as not expensive.

Cheers Bill
1989 110
1990 90
1988 90
1972 V8 WOOP WOOP

piper5

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 09:50:01 PM »
could also be fuel evaporation in the carb if the heat sheild is missing on the manifold most likely its the lift pump though

geoff

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 10:03:07 PM »
Hi

I'd go for a blocked fuel filter. I've had this before.
The engine needs more than can be supplied to the carb. You slow down and it can catch up.

cheers

Geoff

neils

• Name: Neil Scott
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 11:26:07 PM »
Sounds terminal, I'll give you a hundred quid and take it off your hands ;)
88" coil v8 trials motor
S111 Project
62 Willys Wagon (project)  shh keep this quiet!

dantheman

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 11:47:56 PM »
i get this with mine occasionally, sometimes it even cuts out, but mostly just, loses power for a second, like its gonna conk,then keeps going again,other than that, it goes like stink, got me baffled too  ::)
land rover daft!!!or just plain daft!!!!!

MudBucket

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 09:15:37 AM »
i had this with a 2.5 petrol,

turned out it was a small (very), bit of stuff in the float chamber of the carb

I took the brass type mixing screws out of the top of the carb and cleaned them out to find some fluff in the bottom of one.

the car would be fine at idle, and run fine for miles, but randomly would loose all power and if i tried to accelerate the engine would die.

... another tuppence worth....

elegia

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2010, 10:47:35 AM »
It, pretty much, could be any or all of the above!!!  When you start it then give it some hard acceleration does it die too? I had a similar problem with my 2.25 petrol, turned out it was a jet blocked in the carb. Its worth trying (as it will take only 2 mins)  - take the air intake off the carb top and cover with a page from a  glossy magzine hold this in place until the engine stalls and repeat 4 or five times. Sometimes this is enough to blow out a block in the carb jets, with out having to strip the carb down.

Like the above it could also be the lift pump (sometimes it's just the diaphragm on the inside that's got a wee hole in it). 

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2010, 12:17:23 PM »
Years back I bought an old Td 90 from a local estate. The boys said the steering was shot and the engine was gutless and knackered. Turned out that the turbo pipe had been replaced with some buckshee bit of unknown flexible pipe which was collapsing as soon as the engine was revved. Replaced that, new bushes all round, replaced the worn joint in the steering and the whole thing was transformed....until the tin worm ate the chassis a few years later.
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

mike66

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2010, 04:53:15 PM »
Thanks very much for the advise,

I've cleaned the carb out it had some bits of dirt in it, so did the jet. I also fitted a new fuel lift pump and check that the end of the pipe that goes in the tank was good and clean.

This has improved it no end but it still coughing or stuttering when I excelarate. But no longer dies! So I'm feeling happier about it!!! But its still a bugger to start.

So I'm guessing I'll change the coil (which is only 8ish month old) and probaly have a fiddle with the timing. Hopefully this should sort it. ???

If not I might just go up the pub!!!! ;D

mike66

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2010, 04:55:28 PM »
Just a thought, is the fuel pipe ment to run between the thermostate housing and the main pipe to the radiator?

It seems an odd place to put it, with all that heat from them.

rangerovering

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2010, 10:43:04 PM »
Make sure you buy a good quality coil and not the britpart sh!te that some well known parts suppliers offer >:(
Steve

mike66

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2010, 06:36:16 PM »
It would apear I had a Sh!te britpart coil, which got launched in to the bucket! So I "borrowed" the nice bosch coil from Dads MG and that sort out the final problem.

The landy is running beautifully.

Many thanks to everyone who helped with there thoughts! ;D ;D

kvz2000

• Name: Donald
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2010, 09:15:26 PM »
Thats great... I love a story with a happy ending..............enjoy.....
DN