Prop Shafts

· 4 · 1233

Spanielzrus

• Name: Alexander Thomson
Prop Shafts
« on: November 22, 2016, 07:00:11 PM »
Folks,

1966 2A 2.25 Petrol.  Full front axle rebuild.

Have got rid of my nasty noises on overrun by re aligning the rear prop, as depicted in the Ser III manual, with the yolks at each end aligned.

Whilst doing that I noticed that the yolks on the front prop were also aligned but on checking the schematic in the Land Rover workshop manual it seems to show that the front prop yolks should be offset by 90deg???????

I only ask because I have now noticed a slight knocking noise when coming to a halt and am now wondering if the front prop is indeed misaligned and should be offset. 

Just wanted to be sure before i start investigating further.

Any useful information gratefully received, thanks.

Sandy T

ZebraDriver

Re: Prop Shafts
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 07:28:35 PM »
Propshaft yolks should always be aligned. That way the two ends are doing the same thing at the same time. Otherwise the mismatch in rotation speeds will fight each other.

ZD

Spanielzrus

• Name: Alexander Thomson
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 07:33:56 PM »
OK thanks for the reply.  Sounds like the front prop is correctly aligned.  Just need to find out whats causing the knocking noise now.  Only happening at low speed as far as i can make out.

ZebraDriver

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2016, 07:33:49 PM »
Your front prop won't be driving, assuming your in two wheel drive, it will just be being driven by the diff.  If you want to eliminate it from the things that could be causing the noise simply unbolt it and try driving without it.

ZD