Excess corrosion on engine sump 2.4tdci

· 6 · 1475

aqms987

Excess corrosion on engine sump 2.4tdci
« on: January 11, 2016, 11:03:52 PM »
 Carrying out my annual service/inspection & noted that the sump pan was seriously corroded, this on a L/R 110 with 55000 miles & 8 years old. I scarfed the corroded areas, tapped the sump with a suitable device & it sounded fairly solid, I then painted the sump with suitable protective paint. I will monitor the condition as the season proceeds, I would recommend other owners make regular checks of their own vehicles, I noted an article in this months Land Rover World reflecting another owner's experience with the same problem & the price of a genuine part sump is quite alarming!

Mike

Re: Excess corrosion on engine sump 2.4tdci
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 09:16:19 AM »
There was a recall on the 2.4 sump pans. Price during the warranty period was sub-£15...   ::)

aqms987

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2016, 09:49:13 PM »
 Hi Mike

Many thanks for the info. I will be chapping on the door of my main L/R dealer (who also happen to be the supplier of not just this 110 but numerous other vehs. to me). I know the management quite well so here is hoping!
 I will keep you posted.

Regards
 Allan

Mike

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2016, 11:15:37 PM »
TSB attached

aqms987

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2016, 09:38:43 PM »
 Hi
 Many thanks for the info.ref. sump, as it obviously has nothing to do with corrosion I will just have to monitor the condition as I go. I have scarfed & painted the sump which I hope will conserve it for a while or at least until I fall over a nice new sump @ a modest price acceptable to an OAP.
 Again many thanks for the info.

Regards
 Allan

Greigboy

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2016, 11:26:33 AM »
You shouldn't be accepting you fate so lightly, as your vehicle has done well below average miles and is not a two bob throw away Hyundai, so should not be needing a sump due to corrosion at that age and miles.

My 90 is 30 years old and still has its original lump from the British Leyland era of quality control and the sump on that doesn't have any corrosion.........and isn't externally soaked in oil either  :)

You may have shot yourself in the foot though by attempting a repair, as the dealer may refuse to entertain it due to your intervention.....unless you have photos of the corrosion pre repair.
1986 Land Rover 90 CSW V8