90, needs new chassis :(

· 1 · 704

konads

90, needs new chassis :(
« on: October 07, 2014, 06:42:42 AM »
Unfortunately I have to get rid of my 90 - it's in need of a new chassis and, having just received a new chassis for my 109", I don't have the time or space to do the 90 as well.

So, the bad first: It was in a minor bump a month or so ago (<5 mph into the back of a Merc). Thanks to the chassis being weakened by rust, the LH dumb iron and front crossmember have bent. It's now a Cat C insurance write-off. I thought it was too good to scrap, so I am in the process of buying it back from the insurance co.

To put it back on the road it needs fixed, then a new MOT put on before it can be insured fully comp again (currently third party only until the repairs are done).

Realistically, it needs a new chassis - I was only planning on getting another year or so before a chassis swap anyway, and this accident has highlighted that despite not being full of holes it was definitely on the weak side.

The rest: It's an '86 ex-MOD 2.5 NAD, demobbed in ‘98. I bought it in January this year, since then it’s done ~3,674 km (bought at ~157,100 km now 160,774 km). I have no record of servicing prior to my ownership. Odometer history from the MOT is:
149,158 km (2010)
153,318 km (2011)
153,610 km (2012)
156,849 km (2013)
159,728 km (2014)

In my ownership I've done the following (and have kept the receipts for parts):

New front brake calipers with stainless pistons (no more sticky pistons!) and new pads
New brake servo and master cylinder
New rear drums, shoes and shoe springs
New Dixon-Bate adjustable towbar
Bulkhead repairs (from bonnet level up replaced - see pics. Not to everyones taste as the vents are now gone!)
New thermostat
Good second hand radiator (fins rusted off old one)
2 engine oil and filter changes
Gearbox, transfer box and diff oil changes
New wiper cable, tubes and RH wheelbox
Usual servicing stuff - tappets adjusted, air filter changed etc
New Wipac Crystal headlamps and bowls
Fabsil'd the tilt
Various other bits and bobs I’ve probably forgotten.

Was MOT'd in July with two advisories - 'Corrosion to vehicle chassis and structure' and ‘oil leak’.
Drivetrain is good - very little play when you go on/off the power compared to others I’ve driven. Engine seems ok, but I've not had it to bits so can't judge too much. Puts out some white smoke on cold start. It's an NAD so isn't exactly fast. Has a 1.22:1 transfer box fitted so gearing is quite high. Would benefit from either more power (Tdi) or a 1.41:1 tbox I reckon - 5th is more like an overdrive.

Paintwork is ratty - there are roughly a million coats of not-quite-NATO-green (olive drab?), peeling in places.
Front wings have some dents.
Drivers door top has fractured - I haven’t got AC tig so can’t weld it back up (mil door tops are ally).

That’s a bit long winded, but I’ll be sad to part company :(

After £900, could go a bit lower if I can keep the wheels and tyres. I’m in Dundee and can deliver locally.

I’ll get some more pics tonight, but for now please see here (note that the ones of the whole car are pre-bump - bumper now sitting at slightly funky angle):
Picshttp://s220.photobucket.com/user/kenneththecurtain/library/90

Cheers,
Andy

« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 06:44:14 AM by konads »