Engine over heating problem

· 12 · 2374

Dunc

• Name: Duncan Thomson
Engine over heating problem
« on: December 08, 2013, 09:20:08 PM »
  Hi , I have a 2.5 P38 , today on the way to the GRR at Garelochhead on the Kingston Bridge the heater started blowing cold the temp gauge went in to the red and lost power .  This happened 4 more times before I popped the bonnet and with the engine off and a big rag opened the radiator cap , let out the pressure and some water with bubbles , then drove home with a hot heater and a temp gauge that never moved from halfway. Do I have an airlock or a sticking thermostat ? The hoses that go through the bulkhead the left one is warm but the right hand one is roasting ..   Any ideas please    ...     Duncan
If a hammer won't fix it, get a bigger hammer !!

SJF

• Name: Stuart Ford
Re: Engine over heating problem
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 11:05:54 PM »
Thermostat sounds like a suspect I would have a look at the water pump make sure belt is not slipping not sure the set up on a p38 but did it overheat when you were stopped or slow moving ?

lurch032003

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 11:50:23 PM »
Easy to check thermostat is pop it into a pan of water and boil it and see if it opens and then closes and opens again but if in doult best to replace especially at thus time of year

Dunc

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 11:51:43 PM »
  New belts fitted 4 weeks ago , and I have checked that they aren't slipping , also the temp gauge did not go down when slow running and eventually went down when engine was off .
      Duncan

Dunc

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 12:03:15 AM »
   Cheers John I know that trick well but haven't used it for about 20 years , used to be a common problem with Ford 2litre +1.8 petrol ohc (my old man had transit minibuses ) at least you had space to work on them cos the P38 , when I strip it down to get to the thermostat I'm better off changing it ...     although I am hoping to hear more views before the strip down ...
         Duncan

DRH

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 08:57:55 AM »
Check the impeller on the water pump - they have a habit of falling off/breaking off meaning the water doesn't circulate

Duncan

Dunc

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 09:07:02 AM »
 :) Will do ... Cheers  Duncan

Dunc

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2013, 12:02:02 PM »
 :D   :D  Think I may have a diagnosis and potential cure after speaking with Peter McAnna (Motortune ) who is a BMW trained mechanic , from my verbal description , he has said the 2 hoses that go in to the bulkhead should be equally hot , mine are LH one is much cooler than the scalding RH one then worst case scenario its a heater , with the optimistic solution being a blast out with a power lance to clear potential crud . So fingers crossed a blast out will clean the matrix out ....  :D    :D      Duncan     

rangerovering

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 03:47:57 PM »
Erm use a garden hose not a pressure washer or you will probably get very wet carpets!

Steve

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2013, 03:54:01 PM »
Lets hope its a cheap one. Not the time of year to get a big bill !

;)
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

Dunc

Engine over heating problem Joy of joys
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2013, 05:10:22 PM »
 :D  :D 
                Was off work today so I thought I would flush the heater matrix out with a hose rather than a power washer , and see how I got on .   Well after 40 minutes trying to separate the hoses at the bulkhead from their plastic pipes , making sure I didn't break the pipes , they wouldn't budge . So after swearing at it , bursting knuckles , nails and 3 fingers , I had an epiphany !!  run the engine till it's hot then try
again and lo and behold off they came . Flushed it out against the normal flow and there was a fair bit of crud came out but it ran clear , then flushed it the other way and repeated this another 4 times . Connected the hoses back up , filled it with coolant , started it and bled it . Very quickly the heater started blowing warm then hot . After a 20 minutes run going up big hills en-route the temp gauge never even moved beyond the 11 o'clock position and the heater is blowing piping hot air . When I got back I checked the 2 hoses that go through the bulkhead and they were both equally hot . So touch wood ( hairy wood is the best ) all is working as it should .  Also wondering what the name of the none water coolant is called ?? Maybe Santa could bring me some ..... LOL   

Duncan
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 06:32:32 PM by Dunc »

Kev91

• Name: Kevin Fulton
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2013, 01:10:04 AM »
Glad to hear that you have hopefully fixed the heating problem, and a cheap fix at that :)

I think the stuff you are talking about is Evans waterless coolant, it isn't cheap IMO and you shall also have to buy the prep fluid as well. Hope that helps