Starting in Cold Weather (2) - Correct Battery for Disco 2 TD5

· 6 · 2783

Dean

• Name: Dean Pugh
Starting in Cold Weather (2) - Correct Battery for Disco 2 TD5
« on: November 09, 2013, 05:38:32 PM »
Hello all,

I too have got problems starting my Disco 2 TD5 now the weather has turned cold. (I've had no issues up till about a week or so ago, since the early morning temperatures have plummeted.)

Previously I have been able to leave car for a couple of weeks and it started first time, no problem.   Now needs a jump start every morning.   After that no issues through the day.

A new battery was fitted by Kwak-fit about 18 months ago and is still technically under warranty, but I am now worried the wrong type was fitted back then.   It is marked as being a 072   70Ah   CCA 590 .   Does this type of battery have enough "juice" to start a TD5 engine on a cold, Scottish morning?

I have been Googling and the suggestions are that it might not, but that info is a few years old.   Any one got any up to date experiences.   What should be fitted?   And where are people getting their battery's from?

Any help would be gratefully received.

P.S.   Any one going to the Scottish Borders Hill Rally next weekend, please bring jump leads and look out for a stranded Gold Discovery  ;)

Thanks,

Dean

2015 Discovery 4 SE Tech
80" 3.5 V8 EFi Trials Car - Old Yelr

MsUK Call Sign - Lowbox 22
MM6 RRP

mikes lr

• Name: michael sherwood
Re: Starting in Cold Weather (2) - Correct Battery for Disco 2 TD5
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013, 07:36:47 PM »
cca 800 upwards for a td5

Sooty

• been there winched that
  • Name: mike robertson
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2013, 11:09:51 PM »
i have a battery from a ford puma starting my td5 at the moment,

but i would agree that you would need something bigger than an 072 to continually swing a td5 over
Started out with nothing,
Still have most of it left

Alarmgard

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2013, 11:24:34 PM »
Hello all,

I too have got problems starting my Disco 2 TD5 now the weather has turned cold. (I've had no issues up till about a week or so ago, since the early morning temperatures have plummeted.)

Previously I have been able to leave car for a couple of weeks and it started first time, no problem.   Now needs a jump start every morning.   After that no issues through the day.

A new battery was fitted by Kwak-fit about 18 months ago and is still technically under warranty, but I am now worried the wrong type was fitted back then.   It is marked as being a 072   70Ah   CCA 590 .   Does this type of battery have enough "juice" to start a TD5 engine on a cold, Scottish morning?

I have been Googling and the suggestions are that it might not, but that info is a few years old.   Any one got any up to date experiences.   What should be fitted?   And where are people getting their battery's from?

Any help would be gratefully received.

P.S.   Any one going to the Scottish Borders Hill Rally next weekend, please bring jump leads and look out for a stranded Gold Discovery  ;)

Thanks,

Dean

I have no plans on getting my Gold discovery Stranded and I will be there as well  ;D

This is what I have in my TD5, never had any issues with it and I done a reasonable amount of winch recoveries etc.
http://www.tayna.co.uk/C31-900-Numax-Car-Battery-P5245.html

Plenty of people will give you a jump start at the Borders, Tanya do next day delivery and have always been reliable.

Colin Rodger

Marshals needed for CompSafari's give me a call if you can help.
Email:colin.rodger@virgin.net or mobile: 07767726075

Sandy M

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2013, 12:14:25 PM »
Ditto Alarmgard.  Ordered mine on Wednesday night at 7 o'clock. Came home from work on Friday at 2 in the afternoon to find a card through the door stating the battery had been left with a neighbour.

Pricey bit of kit but has the advantage that if you ever run out of fuel you can crank yersel home on the starter  ;D

Dean

• Name: Dean Pugh
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2013, 06:17:32 PM »
Thanks all for your help and suggestions.

I will replace the battery , but looks like I have a drain on it that needs to be investigated first.

Dean
2015 Discovery 4 SE Tech
80" 3.5 V8 EFi Trials Car - Old Yelr

MsUK Call Sign - Lowbox 22
MM6 RRP