· 14 · 3483

gsx1200

• Name: Peter Vaeth
Defender Fans near Inverness
« on: November 08, 2013, 07:01:46 PM »
Hello all,

are there anybody from Inverness ?

I'm going to have a 10-day trip (Germany - Scotland) in March 2014
It where nice if we could meet for a chat about Land Rover (Series / Defender) or of one or two beer in a pub?

cheers Peter
Series III
Defender SW LWB
both fitted with hydraulics

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
Re: Defender Fans near Inverness
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 07:21:42 PM »
Peter, most of the club are based around central Scotland though we do have members all over. We are just finalising the diary for next year, so keep an eye on the site and maybe you can time your trip around an event with us ?

If you are visiting the Trossachs then that's where I stay.

Gene.
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

gsx1200

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 07:50:57 AM »
Hello all,

at first I want to wish you a Merry Christmas and a healthy and successful 2014.

My plans about my Scotland trip are now a bit more detailed.
We (my wife and I) want to start not in March -as I thought first- we want to start in the second half of May. I guess the weather will be much more better.

Routeing:
Würzburg (Germany) to Amsterdam (NL)
Ferry to Newcastle
Newcastle - Edinburgh - Stirling - Area around Loch Lomond - Fort William - Inverness - Area around Cairngorms - a few miles along the East Coast (for a sea view) southwards back to Newcastle.
And then the homeward journey.
Okay, probably to much miles for to less time. And therefore it would be very helpful if you could give some advices which meet my interests:

I would like to get an impression of the Scottish landscape and the Scottish lifestyle (I don't need urban traffic/bustle/... and places with thousands of tourist)
I would like to get in contact with some of you for a drink, talking about Land Rover, having a trip together to an nice view.
In the Highlands itself I would like to drive on small roads through the countryside.
I would like to have a look at a small whisky distillery.
and don't scorn me, I would like to eat an original home-made haggis.

Yes, I know so many "I would likes" but if you have a good advice for my "I would likes", please tell me. Your advice could help to make my trip to a successful journey.

And a further request please correct my English if I use a bad English, wrong words or a awful grammar. I have to improve my English skills.

Thanks a lot and Merry Christmas
Peter
Series III
Defender SW LWB

tio

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2013, 11:29:34 AM »
Merry Christmas Peter, my e-mail doug.h.reid@btinternet.com we done your trip in reverse, scotland belgie nederland germany, (bielefield Hannover ) a few years ago,  i hope you have as nice a time when you come over here, one thing i'll say is its still a bit cold over here in march, what is your intention in respect of accomodation are you camping, bed and breakfast, or hoteling it ???????? what are your interests nature , history, or activities???  i'll have a look around the tourist stuff for you and try help you plan things out, have a merry christmas m8 and happy newyear  i'll get in touch in a couple of weeks,   

genem

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2013, 12:56:39 AM »
Peter, you have a PM.

Gene

gsx1200

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2013, 07:27:14 AM »
Merry Christmas Peter, my e-mail doug.h.reid@btinternet.com we done your trip in reverse, scotland belgie nederland germany, (bielefield Hannover ) a few years ago,  i hope you have as nice a time when you come over here, one thing i'll say is its still a bit cold over here in march, what is your intention in respect of accomodation are you camping, bed and breakfast, or hoteling it ???????? what are your interests nature , history, or activities???  i'll have a look around the tourist stuff for you and try help you plan things out, have a merry christmas m8 and happy newyear  i'll get in touch in a couple of weeks,   

Hello,

we prefer B&B and of course you are right March seems too could, therefore we want to come over in end of May.

We are interested in country side and getting a first impression of Scotland.

Thanks for your help

Peter
Series III
Defender SW LWB

gsx1200

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2013, 07:51:47 AM »
Hello

if it'll be work you should see my 110 (daily use car)

with self made frond bumper

hydraulic driven wood splitter

control valves
- tipper
- 4/2 for cylinder (e.g. splitter)
- 4/2 for motor  (e.g. circular saw)

[attachment deleted by admin]
Series III
Defender SW LWB

gsx1200

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2013, 07:54:33 AM »
Hello,

and my older one
It's first life was in England near the Scottish border

I use it as working horse in the forest

cheers Peter

Series III
Defender SW LWB

genem

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2013, 12:54:25 AM »
Nice working vehicles!

dalbuie

• Name: David Black
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2013, 01:48:55 PM »
Hi Peter,

I'm in Gullane, about 2 hrs North of Newcastle right on the East Coast and happy to chat about old Land Rovers, old cars, old Trucks and anything mechanical. I have a couple of Land Rovers 1964 SWB and 1972 LWB and several other vehicles and also several friends locally who are also very interested in old vehicles, beer and talking :-)

Locally we also have a famous German Baker (http://www.falko.co.uk/about-falko) who shares a garage/workshop with me and has an Austin Heavy 7 and an Austin 12/4 light tourer (which I am rebuilding the engine on just now)

PM me if you fancy a stop over on the East Coast and some recommendations of what to see - there is a lot (http://www.visiteastlothian.org/).

I'd definitely leave it till May if you want the best chance of good weather.

Dave
Never look into a laser with your remaining eye!

genem

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2013, 12:48:42 PM »
Peter, here is an idea of the scenery around my part of the world..... as per PM, you are welcome to drop by.

"Holly" taking a moment from her breakfast to model for us...

Gene.

dalbuie

• Name: David Black
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2013, 01:33:19 PM »
Great picture Gene,

Always a slight concern when being passed by Highland Cattle and wondering if your paintwork will survive. Not an issue with the LR but on a trip last year to Mull with my 280SE I had my fingers crossed  :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VUqwMZbCdc
Never look into a laser with your remaining eye!

gsx1200

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2013, 06:45:39 PM »
Hi Gene,

yes, I'll come and want to see this kind of cattle breed in real life. The giant horn looks dangerous! :-[
I grow up on a small farm and I know the contact with pigs, cows and cattle. But not at meadows (free area) only in a barn / stable.

I'm looking forward to meet Scotlands countryside.   :)

cheers Peter
Series III
Defender SW LWB

gsx1200

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2014, 06:46:42 PM »
Hello Landy Fans

I planned to visit Scotland. According the plans I should drive anywhere around Sterling at this time and next weekend I should join the Bathgate Event.
Unfortunately my wife is ill and since Thursday in hospital with stomach problems and therefore we can't stay in Scotland now.  :(

But I want to show you my 110 SW prepared for Bathgate with two flags. The old Scottish one and the flag from Lower Franconia (a part of Bavaria / Germany)

Best wishes and have a good time in Bathgate

Cheers Peter

Series III
Defender SW LWB