Fitting britpart station wagon side windows

· 6 · 1888

vag_landy

• Name: Greg Leighton
Fitting britpart station wagon side windows
« on: August 20, 2013, 07:42:41 PM »
Has anyone any experience with using britpart delux side window kit. Just bought a kit and opened it up and there seems to be missing, template, instructions and rivets but guessing from previous experience of buying britpart I'm guessing they aren't missing and I've to jog on.

So if I am missing how do I fit them and best methods to mark out and cut, size of rivets. Got Plenty of masking tape, bought jigsaw blades and grinder cutting discs.

Cheers in advance
Vw Audi Group
PP Golf GTi
Puma XS 90
Ex MOD 90

rover51

• rover51
Re: Fitting britpart station wagon side windows
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 08:16:34 PM »
Has anyone any experience with using britpart delux side window kit. Just bought a kit and opened it up and there seems to be missing, template, instructions and rivets but guessing from previous experience of buying britpart I'm guessing they aren't missing and I've to jog on.

So if I am missing how do I fit them and best methods to mark out and cut, size of rivets. Got Plenty of masking tape, bought jigsaw blades and grinder cutting discs.

Cheers in advance

I don't know about Britpart window kit - I bought mine privately so didn;t have template rivets etc

I have photos of how i fitted them if they would help you.

Or if you are near clydebank you could pop over and have a look at them fitted and I might be able to give a hand !
I wish I knew more,
But then, don't we all.

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 08:18:46 PM »
Dunno if they were Britpart or not but I've fitted a couple of sets over the years. I made up a template from cardboard or something fairly solid, then measure it carefully into place, level etc. As with everything, " Measure Twice, Cut Once".  How spot on you want to be depends on if you are planning on fitting SW inner trim ?

With the template marked onto the panel drill a hole just inside and cut out with a jig-saw. No need for a grinder. Tip - Put duct tape or similar on the sole-plate of your jigsaw to reduce damage to the paintwork.

Offer the window up, tape it loosely in place and drill out the holes for the rivets - I used m4 countersunk machine screws & nylocks as the final finish inside is nicer. Remove window, run a bead of silicone glue/sealant round, re-insert window and bolt/rivet to your hearts content.

The "finisher" strip can be a PITA. Insert the main bit, joint at the bottom then feed in the thin bit that expands the finisher. The professionals have a tool like a wire triangle on a handle. A blunt screwdriver works OK. Washing up liquid as a lubricant makes life easier. Don't cut the inner bit of the finisher until you are nearly done - it stretches/shrinks as you work and you'll not get it right until the end. Cut it with a cm or two extra and feed that in to keep the whole thing tight.

Good luck !

If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

vag_landy

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 08:52:52 PM »
Cheers for the advice what material was the bolts ? Can I use stainless near aluminium . Pictures would be great if its no trouble  :)
Vw Audi Group
PP Golf GTi
Puma XS 90
Ex MOD 90

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 09:11:46 PM »
I think the screws were just BZP - big bag for peanuts from Screwfix.

I was also luck that I had a set of inner trim from an older vehicle that I could use when I rebuilt and resprayed it.

If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

vag_landy

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 09:28:52 PM »
Thanks again looks the professional job probably better than a orignal out the factory.
 I looked into buying inner trim as my hardtop is county spec which has alpine windows and head lining in rear , but the price they go for on ebay is mental.
Vw Audi Group
PP Golf GTi
Puma XS 90
Ex MOD 90