Car shows?

· 37 · 7172

Pilot Custard

• Name: Ian Stuart
Car shows?
« on: August 13, 2013, 04:14:21 PM »
I was at the Biggar Albion Vintage Vehicle Show at the weekend (poor pickings in the autojumble, for land rover parts... but I still bought far too much stuff  ;D )

.... it got us thinking (those of us who went to show off a 101 FC Ambulance in the Military vehicles stand) - why does SLROC not go to these events? There are at least a dozen events a year: Glams, Selkirk, Biggar; Scoone; etc, etc... we've even had a wee stand at Hopetoun House the last couple of years!

Is there anybody who's keen on this stuff, and good at encouraging people to come along?
(generally, we're looking at the Series vehicles for these shows - but some would want to see CCV vehicles, or the racers. Some just want a static display, some want a parade round the ring, and some can offer space for noise & action... it should be relatively easy to get some DVDs made up of events we run, and get a TV set up running on an endless loop....)

KonZektt

• Name: Graeme Sherman
Re: Car shows?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 06:40:57 PM »
did they not try this at Lanark a few years ago?
regardsKZ

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 08:58:04 PM »
Its been asked often enough but there does not seem to be much interest - and sure as Eggs is Eggs as soon as we did the event would clash with another Club event - You seriously want to add another dozen events to the Calendar ?

...and we've not that many rivet counters even among us Series owners !

Nothing to stop some-one organising it if they want tho - We sent folk to Hopetoun, Michael invited people down to an event in the Borders. 
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

Pilot Custard

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 09:37:09 PM »
Gene - I understand what you mean..... we did Lanark a few years ago, and I organised something at the Scottish Motorshow in 2011

However there are 400+ members in the club, and given I saw almost 20 land rovers at Biggar there must have been some from the club!

KonZektt

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 09:53:19 PM »
400+ members   and less than 50 compete  even if it were 100 that compete that still leaves 300+that support the club with there membership and don,t get anything other than a club card.There has to be something more than competing to light there fire. Just my opinion.
regards KZ

cenemc

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 10:07:45 PM »
Generally it suits me to be at the shows as me rather than as part of a club.

Nothing against people who want to advertise the club but as I tend to go for the scruffiest heap of s$%t in show award, (winds up the rivet accountants), my vehicle is not necessarily a good advert for the SLROC! (Get Ron to tell you what my S2 looked like at Lauder)

Glad you enjoyed yourself at Biggar I was laying slabs!

genem

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 10:31:02 PM »
400+ members   and less than 50 compete  even if it were 100 that compete that still leaves 300+that support the club with there membership and don,t get anything other than a club card.There has to be something more than competing to light there fire.

Well I'm not sure that many of the Committee are that good at mind-reading so why don't people just plain say something if there is something missing from the Calendar - or better yet help organise something new ! We've introduced Timed Trials in the last year or so, we've found a pile if new GRR routes, there's a new Comp site in use this weekend, there are one-offs like the Leafers Trial and Mud-Master, etc etc.

Bottom line is that of 400 members the list of those who actually get involved in organising, setting up and taking down for events is even smaller than the list of competitors. If there were a couple more folk getting involved in each type of event it would make life all-round a lot easier.  If a group wanted to organise attendance at Shows or organise another event there is nothing to stop them. Shows are not my bag but then neither is Scalextric Comp Safari.  :-)

Pilot Custard

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013, 07:37:22 PM »
400+ members   and less than 50 compete  even if it were 100 that compete that still leaves 300+that support the club with there membership and don,t get anything other than a club card.There has to be something more than competing to light there fire. Just my opinion.
Agreed..... but what?

What lights your fire?

What do people want:
  Museum trips?
  Pub meetings? (tried that)
  Camping weekends?

Dave T

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2013, 07:50:34 PM »
There are a few of us that frequent here and disco3.co.uk that do pub meets, every 6 weeks, all landies welcome, next one is Monday 9th September at the black bear beefeater at uddingston (m73/m74 junction) at 7.

We have just started alternating between here and the Livingston beefeater.
1994 Defender 90
2016 D4 Graphite

Dave T

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2013, 07:52:39 PM »
Another idea would be something that was in LRO magazine a few months ago, they went to a mini winch challenge, for normal landies with a winch rather than challenge vehicles, would there be any interest in something like that?
1994 Defender 90
2016 D4 Graphite

Pilot Custard

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2013, 08:59:32 PM »
a bit like a souped-up driving day?

KonZektt

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2013, 09:07:08 PM »
The SLROC pub meets used to be well attended,Chris stern used to be involved at Culchreach  castle they were well attended as well. But if the committee are all involved in comp safaris then that is there leaning. It takes over  a hundred quid to fill a disco and not every body has a vast disposable income to throw at there landie passion, so difficult times is one factor. You have to remember it is the scottish land rover OWNERS club, not tyro not rtv not ccv trial or timed trial and not soely safari club.Maybe you are spreading your self a bit thin on the ground with all the events.Big eck marshalls at the majority of events even alex,s bike events and not forgetting peter stewart .Not everybody is as dedicated as them . Oh and i forgot the green road runs that used to be sandys domain. It is up to the committee to run the club for the benefit and enjoyment of every member they are the think tank and organisers then it is up to the members to attend or not.Back to the owners some have there land rover products as they have made it in life others to use as a workhorse and others so they can tinker with them  and others to use off road as they are bloody good at this. Back to you Ian.
regards kz

genem

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2013, 09:28:38 PM »
With Respect Graeme I don't follow your logic - and I'd disagree about the C'tee all being "Comp" leaning, not true at all. A fair few of us don't do comps, at least one only does GRR. 

Back to my original point - the Committee ain't mind-readers, its up to folk to suggest ideas. Pub meet is one but given that the Club is so spread out - they are always only going to attract people quite local - and I'm blowed if I want to drive a couple of hours just for an OJ and lemonade, good company or not !

As for "spreading a bit thin on the ground " - that was exactly why I was suggesting that maybe some other folk might get involved ?  You seem to be suggesting that the C'tee is there to come up with all the ideas on their jack-jones and then take the flak for getting it wrong !  Not fair and not the way to run a Club.

Genuine question - what would float the boat for those who don't want to complete, don't want to do GRR either ?  Straight-forward scenic drive on tarmac with a decent place to stop for lunch and a bit of under-bonnet peering ? - 'cos that's not difficult to organise if folk want ?

KonZektt

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2013, 10:05:19 PM »
So what is wrong with just being a member, if all members were to have input in running the club and events ,nothing would get done and even more falling out. But is there anybody on the committee that does not compete or do grr? Yes the geography of the membership is one problem which is why i said about the cost of a tank of fuel
So you are advocating the biscuit makers run Tunnocks  i think brittsh leyland tried that?.My way of thinking is you are a member for several years and if you are dedicated to that club or organisation you progress to the committee and help and assist with that club or organisation or is that just to black and white. I just dont have the money to participate anymore either traveling,entry fee or repairs after the event
regards kz

Black Sheep

• "should have bought a 90"
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2013, 10:34:54 PM »
Are the 400 plus members unhappy? I don't see the commitee leaning towards comp safaris. If anything the work done towards expanding GRR or gaining access to new  site's has been excellent.
This is not a  business and I personally think the commitee should be congratulated for putting in their free time for the members.......and this is still after I was asboed for my non LR ;)
You get out of the club what you are willing to put in.