Soundproofing

· 5 · 1249

tgreer

Soundproofing
« on: May 24, 2013, 11:04:52 PM »
Hi

Now my land rover is back on the road, I get to worry about silly things.

The racket from the running gear is killer at anything above 40mph... is there anything I can do to reduce the sound to the cab?
1975 Series 3 Land Rover - ex-MOD 109" Hard Top
3.0L V6 Ford Essex

DRH

Re: Soundproofing
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 11:42:03 PM »
i pod and headphones?

wildwoodflower

• Name: Kathy
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 12:57:26 AM »
Earplugs or ear defenders - and I'm not kidding, either. In my last wagon we used flashing tape - which is essentially a bitumen-backed foil. It was pretty effective, but be warned that it is the very devil to remove.

You have to cover the whole of the interior bulkhead, footwell, floor and drivetrain panels and the seatbox, too, for it to really make a difference.

When we get the bulkhead welded and engine out on my latest wagon, I intend to soundproof the engine side of the bulkhead and then the floor panels and seatbox from the underneath. Inside I will use thick rubber stable matting held in place with long rivets and washers rather than glue ... and over that an old-style Hardura interior trim. Overkill? I certainly hope so.

tgreer

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 09:19:04 AM »
Does rubber floor matting make any difference?
1975 Series 3 Land Rover - ex-MOD 109" Hard Top
3.0L V6 Ford Essex

Malc

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 09:24:01 AM »
I made up rubber mats for my lightweight from old 10mm conveyor belt rubber. This made a noticeable reduction to gearbox noise.

For my def (cos I couldnae be bothered doing all that again, I fitted a kit from :

http://www.wrightoffroad.com/

Made a noticeable difference - although pricey - think it was approx. £250
Disco 300tdi
Defender 90 V8