4.0 V8 & Auto into Comp Motor

· 8 · 1839

mattc1984

• Name: Matthew Cope
4.0 V8 & Auto into Comp Motor
« on: April 29, 2013, 09:28:25 PM »
Hi All

I'm a long time member, first time poster, looking for a little knowledge/experience.  I may be in a bit of a pickle.

I am currently building a trial/comp motor having bought a part finished project (rolling chassis & space frame).  I acquired separately an 4.0 V8 and auto box out of a Disco 2 from my Uncle.  With the engine and box I was informed I had everything necessary to make the thing run i.e. all the electronic gubbins.  The engine and box are now in and the original Disco harness wired up.  Missing from my little engine package was the BCU, there was also no instrument cluster or ignition barrel.  I bought a BCU, instrument cluster and ignition barrel from another Disco via ebay.

So, everything connected up, turn the key, ignition comes on and the binnacle lights up.  However it appears that the immobiliser is in operation, preventing the starter from turning the engine over and presumably also cutting the fuel (pump connected but no tank yet).

I do not have the EKA code for the BCU that I have bought or indeed the VIN or registration number.  I do have the VIN and registration relating to the engine and box donor.

Am I buggered?  Hopefully not!

Thanks to anyone who can shed any light on this.

Matt

Tomm_Watt

• Name: Tomm Watt
Re: 4.0 V8 & Auto into Comp Motor
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 09:41:57 PM »
it could be the spider or lack of it (they do cause bother and can be bypassed)   goggle v8 not starting and it will explain  it
regards tom

Alan Mc

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 09:44:08 PM »
If that fails, try calling Bobby at GEMM 4x4  (01324 557735) - he might be able to assist around the code, given you've got VIN, etc..  Alan.

piper5

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 05:38:24 PM »
try sooty on here he has done a few builds using disco 2 stuff, he did post on here a long time ago how to make a td5 run by bypassing the disco electrics

rangerovering

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 08:43:56 PM »
I would suspect you need some reprogramming done to get everything talking to each other. Is the engine THOR based? If so you cannot bypass the immobiliser without some serious interogation of the ECU (I don't yet know of someone who has successfully done plug and play with THOR although I do know a man developing one).

Testbook would be a the quickest and easiest way to fix the problem, not easy finding someone with that though. A competent operator with another professional diagnostic tool would be the next step
Steve

anderss42

• Stuart Anderson
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 08:54:07 AM »
If you cannot get it running with the stock ECU, you could consider fitting Megasquirt. I have done this to my 3.9 which has worked well since fitting. http://www.megasquirt-v8.co.uk/index.php

mattc1984

• Name: Matthew Cope
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 10:28:21 PM »
Thanks for all the responses guys.

It is a Thor based engine so the "serious interogation of the ECU" element worries me a little!  My next port of call I think is Strathearn Engineering as they are only down the road from me.  I'm hoping (maybe in vein) that a quick plug in to introduce the BCU to the engine/gearbox ECU's and off it goes.  Haha hopeful of what?

Are Strathearn likely to have Testbook?  I know nothing about it?

I might have to do some more research in this megasquirt system although was hoping to avoid this to keep costs down a bit.

Oh well, I'll let you know how I get on.

Sooty

• been there winched that
  • Name: mike robertson
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 06:55:18 PM »
i know someone who has just done this conversion on his current challenge truck/ Ultra4 build,

However he has had to use everything wiring wise from the d2 to make it all work, so has masses of wiring in his truck, not a route i personally like but hey ho,

i have made td5 looms stripped down to the bare minimum & had the ecu's modified to run uncoded/de imobilised but i havent had much to do with satans fuel for a while
Started out with nothing,
Still have most of it left