R380 can't select 5th or reverse?

· 7 · 1567

lreay

R380 can't select 5th or reverse?
« on: April 28, 2013, 06:41:43 PM »
I was driving today and went to select reverse but the gearstick wouldn't move over to the right to allow me to select reverse or 5th. There were no nasty or noticable noises prior to this happening and all other gears can be selected and work fine. Could this be anything relatively simple or is it a case of gearbox out?

Cheers
Luke

stage recovery

Re: R380 can't select 5th or reverse?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 08:48:34 PM »
Luke, take the selector housing off the top of the gearbox and try moving the selector shaft into gear positions. I had the same problem on an R380 a few weeks ago, the cause was the springs inside the 5th/reverse syncro hub being broken and broken bits jamming the movement of the hub.Simple problem,still needed to remove and strip gearbox though.

lreay

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 09:16:35 PM »
Thanks Colin,

I took the selector housing off, the transfer lever but couldn't get the remote housing off in situ. I've been Googling, and looks like its gearbox out time. Think I might get a working spare so I can get it running soon and then have a look at stripping it when I have more time.

Cheers
Luke

stage recovery

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 09:22:06 PM »
You may have to undo the gearbox rubber mountings to drop the box down slightly to allow the housing to lift off.

lreay

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 06:15:41 PM »
Thanks for the chat earlier Colin. I needed to apply a little force to remove the remote housing rather than just lifting it off, and to gain a few extra millimetre clearance I was able to stand on the gearbox through the access hatch under the middle seat and move it down slightly. Once the remote housing was off I was then able to select all gears just by moving the quadrant with my hand. There was a burr on the quadrant fork which I think was the issue with removing it and perhaps restricting the movement of the fork. I removed the burr and cleaned up the fork and it as now all back together and working.

Cheers
Luke

aqms987

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 07:35:11 PM »
 Was it a big burr, a little burr or a teddy burr?
 Regards

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 09:57:31 PM »
"Taxi for Tiffy..."
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....