Braking problem.

· 5 · 1290

BigPaul

• Name: BigP
Braking problem.
« on: April 28, 2013, 03:13:47 PM »
Have the 'ABS light won't go out problem' on my Discovery 300 tdi.  Also have the problem that the light will go out but, that then causes a BIG scare;

Now, the light is normally always on & brakes work well but, occasionally it goes out. When this happens there appears to be no pedal movement & there's a terrible grating noise & 'scratchy' feeling in the pedal & no brakes. If I come off the brake & press it straight away there is normal pedal movement & feeling.

I've replaced all 4 callipers, discs & pads & still have the problem. It's bloody frightening when it happens.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Paul

stage recovery

Re: Braking problem.
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 07:33:45 PM »
Have encountered a similar problem after replacing a hub on a Disco Td5,the brake pedal would be held off by the ABS system, the new sensor fiitted with the hub turned out to be faulty.

BigPaul

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 08:27:42 PM »
Fiddled about with sensors on both front hubs and light went out as it should.  However, the no movement of the brake pedal reared its ugly head.  Interestingly, when I feathered the pedal it would then brake as normal but, the light came back on.  Looks like new sensor(s) needed.

Paul

vag_landy

• Name: Greg Leighton
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 10:43:17 PM »
i've suffered the same issue i removed ABS fuse so light stayed on constant until i got a diagnostic tool and replaced damaged sensor. when ABS light is on constant the braking system has deactivated ABS giving full normal use of brakes simular to non ABS land rovers so caution on hard braking as the wheels will lock up if you don't cadence brake.
Vw Audi Group
PP Golf GTi
Puma XS 90
Ex MOD 90

BigPaul

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 09:55:18 AM »
Thanks, Greg.  Cadence braking, brings back memories ::).  How 'easy' is it to replace the sensors?  DIY, or professional job?