Galzing putty

· 8 · 1523

NIJ

• Name: Nigel Kelly
Galzing putty
« on: April 12, 2013, 09:38:57 AM »
Any advice on what to use to re-bed Ser III front door fixed glass into new door top?  I went to local glazier for butyl mastic but he insisted that ordinary silicone would be better - I'm not so sure.  Nigel
Nigel

shug

• Name: Hugh Kay
Re: Galzing putty
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 03:24:32 PM »

hi nigel
i use black sekoflex [they used to use it for bonded windscreens] you can get it from gills motor factors its not that expensive . clean off xs with plastic catty spreader then use petrol on a clean cloth to finish it off and clean paintwork  , it will get everywhere  ;D. hope this helps shug...

NIJ

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 03:45:42 PM »
Thanks, Shug.  I'll check that out. N
Nigel

elegia

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 04:38:03 PM »
When I did mine I just used foam type glazing strip (quite thick, adhesive on one side). I ran a wee bead of translucent silicone around too. Seemed to work fine.

wildwoodflower

• Name: Kathy
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2013, 09:42:05 PM »
According to this lot, Dum Dum putty is no longer available - but this would do the trick. http://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/c-121-putty.aspx

NIJ

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 10:39:18 AM »
Gosh, thanks, Kathy.  That looks really good, order placed.  You've literally just saved me a long trip to town this morning too.  I should have a happy navigator on Sunday.  Many thanks, Nigel.
Nigel

wildwoodflower

• Name: Kathy
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 07:20:25 PM »
You're very welcome, Nigel.
Of course, I should have mentioned that you can also reuse the original putty ... which is what I did after running out of Dum Dum.

NIJ

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2013, 10:19:18 AM »
You appear very resourceful, Kathy!  Woolies sent caulking and I received it this morning - excellent service.  Will brave the elements and get it fitted.  Thanks again, Nigel
Nigel