TDCI Going into "limp home mode"

· 4 · 820

aqms987

TDCI Going into "limp home mode"
« on: April 08, 2013, 11:11:54 PM »
 Some weeks ago I put up an entry ref my TDCI 2.4 going into limp home mode. At that time I fitted a new EGR & that appeared to cure the problem. The issue re-appeared and the diagnostic computer said Turbo Overboost! I did not fancy paying for a new turbo etc so further investigation pointed to the sensor in the inlet manifold. I removed the sensor & found that it was very contaminated with oil & gunge.
 I cleaned the sensor VERY carefully with carbon tet (carb cleaner) and a very soft brush then blew it all dry with an airline. A new sensor costs around £95:00 plus vat so worth trying cleaning. Got the the computer reset & the fault cleared. So far the problem appears to be solved so fingers crossed. I believe failure of the EGR can cause this contamination problem.

mikes lr

• Name: michael sherwood
Re: TDCI Going into "limp home mode"
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 10:04:51 AM »
thats why its best to remove the egr valve and have clean air in rather than recycled exhaust fumes

andrewswe

• Name: andrew miller-varey
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 11:58:21 AM »
Hi,

You have probably got an issue with the VNT unit on the turbo sticking, this causes periodic overboost faults. Fortunatly this doesn't mean a new turbo. All it needs is a strip down and rebuild to release the VNT unit.

We typically do 2-3 of these a week.  £140 inc VAT and return courier to a club member, all you need to do is post it to us.

www.drprop.co.uk

Cheers

The Dr 07920 130022

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 10:24:15 PM »
Posted about the Works TDCi doing the same. Its a leased vehicle so it went into the dealers. Firts off they changed the EGR - no change. last time they updated the engine management software. Seems OK at the moment....

Electronically Induced Hypochondria....
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....