Power steering problem

· 6 · 1090

elegia

Power steering problem
« on: April 06, 2013, 01:39:23 PM »
Hi Guys,

The power steering in my 1994, 200Tdi defender, is starting to behave rather oddly.

The best description I can give is that it is giving uneven power. So when I initiate a turn it starts fairly light then  becomes heavier then light and heavier again. This is particularly so at roundabouts (unsurprisingly I suppose). It doesn't seem to be side directed in that the problems are similar for both right and left turns, or at least I can't feel any difference between sides.

I don't seem to be loosing any fluid that I can see. I topped the fluid up a couple of days ago (only a couple of tablespoon-  fulls,  but it was just below the low mark, it's now sitting between the high & low marks). The fluid is also the natural red colour not dirty or light. I had a new power steering pump fitted last year (about 11 months ago) for the MOT (unfortunatly the said garage is now out of business).

Can anyone suggest any possible interventions?

Thanks in advance.
Jamie

Malc

Re: Power steering problem
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 01:41:44 PM »
I had this exact thing. Try lubricating the steering column - all the universal joints etc. WD40 to free them up them some grease in there too.
Disco 300tdi
Defender 90 V8

kevin18050

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 02:47:24 PM »
I had this exact thing. Try lubricating the steering column - all the universal joints etc. WD40 to free them up them some grease in there too.
what he said !

aqms987

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 11:43:09 AM »
 Hi
 I have had exactly the same symptoms on previous L/Rovers. Turned out to be seized U/Js in the steering column, sadly I was unable to free them off. Good news is that they were easy to change, not very dear, & a lot cheaper than a new steering box.

Regards

elegia

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 01:08:49 PM »
Top advice chaps, many thanks.
A good scoosh of WD40 & some grease, 10 mins later - a wholly improved driving experience.

Thanks again.
Jamie

Tomm_Watt

• Name: Tomm Watt
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 01:39:18 PM »
how can you grease them they are sealed ujs    the wd 40 will penetrate   but is only a short term fix   i have only had this once with a classic rangie   and to be honest it was undrivable  and was not safe on the road
regards tom