trailer training and test

· 11 · 2910

top drive

• They gave me an MOT - fools
trailer training and test
« on: February 21, 2013, 06:26:41 AM »
Anyone actually done the B+E test or are you guys all too old ;)

i passed my test in 2003 and require to do B+E to tow a land rover on a trailer.

Ive looked about the net and found the cost of the test to be 115 quid but no one will give me a price on line for a days course in how to do it right(i would phone but im in turkmenistan right now)  - ive driven with trailers big and small a plenty but keeping within the guidelines for an unlicenced driver but dont feel like wasting 115 quid on a test without training if what im doing is wrong....

in in aberdeenshire area if anyone has any recomendations for instructors.

`87 ninety - full rebuild with 11l 200tdi conversion ,2 inch lift and 13 inch shocks and relevent protection/sliders./ dislocation cones

Goes like a stabbed rat.

Marshal - Jules

• Name: Jules
Re: trailer training and test
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 07:26:00 AM »
We use our Mr Moffat, success every time, he covers North Lanarkshire.

http://www.moffat-drivertraining.co.uk/

Jules.

ruaritreble

• ruariboy
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 08:42:47 AM »
I'm new school and decided there was a limit to how much I could get away with. Especiall as a few boys here (West Coast) got caught.
I did the full course - 2 full days training and then onto the test. I was surprised at the number of bad habits I had. It came all in around £500 but it did include alot of tea, cake & lunch  :D
Test it self was more on advanced driving rather than trailer work. If you can reverse a trailer in a s bend into the garage then you should be fine.
Ask your local centre if they would do an assessent before doing a full 2 day course.Could save you a few quid.

Ruari
Karis 110 - The perfect way to get a MTB to the top of the hill.
Power to the pedal!

Myrtle Air Portable - V8
------------------------
MM6IIO
------------------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/ruariboy

http://s826.photobucket.com/home/ruariboy

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 02:44:10 PM »
One of the few advantages to being an old fart.  ;D
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

Tomm_Watt

• Name: Tomm Watt
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 03:03:44 PM »
i think i am right in saying this         until you lose your licence  or it is revoked then on re issue you have to sit your test for the trailor
regards tom

coolcamper55

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 08:11:56 PM »
i think i am right in saying this         until you lose your licence  or it is revoked then on re issue you have to sit your test for the trailor
regards tom

Correct, you lose all "grandfather" rights and are considered as a new license holder

top drive

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 06:08:32 AM »
yes but lets be realistic - you will have to be driving liek a complete moron to loose your licence ;)

my dad had it recently when applying for his new photocard - motorbike mags said take a video of your licence before you send it , clearly showing both sides as peoples have come back with nothing on.

came back empty except for the car

He had alot of paid for licences on his , motorbike and plant etc etc. The video gave him the evidence needed to get them back.

he got his grandfather rights licences back too .
`87 ninety - full rebuild with 11l 200tdi conversion ,2 inch lift and 13 inch shocks and relevent protection/sliders./ dislocation cones

Goes like a stabbed rat.

farmerboy4

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 09:09:19 AM »
I done my trailer test at 18, 3 years ago. I never done any training just booked the test for 115. I hired a trailer from indespension for £20 for the day. It must be a box trailer so you can't see through your rear veiw mirror.
You must have L plates on the Towcar, extended caravan mirror for the tester and when driving to the test centre with the trailer must have a passenger who has already got there test or passed before 1997.
Passed no problems and saved a lot of money as it was a waste of time in my opinion.

Dave Atherton

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 12:02:53 PM »
I also used Stuart Moffat for my training a few years ago, very useful for pointing out bad habbits and teaching you the way you are actually meant to do things.
Highly recommend him.

top drive

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2013, 08:34:45 AM »
after spending the week running all over scotland with my dads > 750kg trailer on the back of the frontera your probably right about that farmerboy - if i can put the trailer into my drive i can stick it anywhere.

how ever - i dont have access to a big enough trailer so probably easier just to pay someone to give me a bit of tuition , especially as i plan to be towing my 90, my colleague flipped his caravan as he didnt know what to do during a snaking incident(badly weighted van) , there has to be lots of tips and tricks like that to pick up surely....

that said - not exactly alot of choice where the weight goes when your towing a 90 - its front or back pending which way you drive on, no central.

ill have an ask locally and see if anyone does a crash course  (i work offshore so booking anything ages in advance is a nightmare)

Goes like a stabbed rat.

wee gaz

• Disco,s here Disco,s there
  • Name: Garry Dalziel
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2013, 06:31:27 PM »
regards tom

Correct, you lose all "grandfather" rights and are considered as a new license holder
Sorry lads this time your wrong on re issue you get the same as before trust me this one I know ::)