advice on a winch

· 10 · 1917

Buffalo Bill

• Name: Bill Conner
advice on a winch
« on: February 17, 2013, 08:35:43 PM »
Ok guys I have a 12v superwinch I bought from a club member but it keep stalling out on recovery . Solenoids battery all checks out but still stalls out . Does it need a new motor ? Wouldn't like to lose winch as I love the bumper.

As usual any advice greatfully received.

Thanks bill
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 02:26:33 PM by Buffalo Bill »
1989 110
1990 90
1988 90
1972 V8 WOOP WOOP

Dave T

Re: advice on a winch
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 09:21:52 PM »
Good winch does a lot of parts for various winches
1994 Defender 90
2016 D4 Graphite

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 09:25:51 PM »
Whats the rated pull and how big have the recovery jobs been  - Over stretching the beastie ?  Any better with a snatch block in the set-up ? Potentially that doubles the pull. 
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

Dave T

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 07:10:44 AM »
It was only me!  :o :o
1994 Defender 90
2016 D4 Graphite

piper5

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 08:01:09 AM »
drop colin stagerecovery on here a pm he will tell you , but sound solenoid or motor related. the solenoid can give trouble where they will switch electrically so if you test them with a meter they are fine but they wont pass the current, is it on the origonal can solenoids or has it been changed to a block albright type?
albright solenoids are about £40

ruaritreble

• ruariboy
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 02:55:31 PM »
It was only me!  :o :o

So a big recovery having seen the mud that was on you let alone the car ;)
Karis 110 - The perfect way to get a MTB to the top of the hill.
Power to the pedal!

Myrtle Air Portable - V8
------------------------
MM6IIO
------------------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/ruariboy

http://s826.photobucket.com/home/ruariboy

Buffalo Bill

• Name: Bill Conner
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 03:43:34 PM »
Ok guys its a couple of hundred quid for the motor. But are these winches any good is it worth saving it or bite the bullet and fit something different.

Cheers Bill
1989 110
1990 90
1988 90
1972 V8 WOOP WOOP

Dave T

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 03:59:35 PM »
try starting here Bill, he does spares as well, all depends what else is wrong really

http://www.dborc.co.uk/goodwinch/

The Goldfish are good and quick, ask for show prices you get a decent discount
1994 Defender 90
2016 D4 Graphite

prof-pat-pending

• Name: nick
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 07:47:27 PM »
Whats the rated pull and how big have the recovery jobs been  - Over stretching the beastie ?  Any better with a snatch block in the set-up ? Potentially that doubles the pull. 
tend to agree with gene  :)
allways worth putting in a snatch block and doubling the line - as he says it doubles the pulling power and saves strain on the winch motor  ;)
dont forget its not just the weight of what you are pulling its the force of the mud/incline pulling back also  :o
life is but a journey from birth to death - why rush ?
run a series landie and take your time
http://cumbriaclassiclandrovers.createaforum.com/index.php

aqms987

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2013, 10:27:20 PM »
 When using a winch the first thing I would suggest is to work out the EP or estimated pull this is done by taking account of the following;

1 Ground Factor ie nature of the ground you are on ie deep mud offers greater resistance than wet grass, for deep mud I would allow the weight of the vehicle devided by 2.

2 Damage resistance ie a locked wheel will offer greater resistance to movement than a free rolling wheel, I would allow 25% of the vehicle weight per locked wheel.

3 Gradient resistance ie if on a slope up to 45 degrees allow a proportion of the vehicle weight per degree. over 45 allow the total weight
   of the vehicle. 

4 Safety factor, the above figures are estimates so total 1, 2, 3 devide the result by 4 & add that result to your total figure the result will be your estimated pull or load. ie GF + DR + GR totalled Plus SF = EP

Winch pull capacity;  The rated pull will be quoted on a drum with only 6 coils approx on the drum, as the drum fills up the pull capacity will drop dramatically. I would recommend that where possible you ALWAYS use a snatch block this slows the pull down but doubles apprx the pull available ie an 8000 lb winch can pull 16000 on the first wrap of the winch. Bear this in mind when selecting an anchor point!

You may find that you have sticking brushes in your winch at present which may account for the apparent lack of pull.
 Last;  Wear Gloves & count your fingers. Happy winching