Puma - 3000 RPM Tops

· 9 · 1996

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
Puma - 3000 RPM Tops
« on: February 02, 2013, 11:34:15 PM »
Took one of the works Puma Stn Wagons to Edinburgh yesterday, all was well till I started home. Somewhere along the motorway it stopped revving above 3000 rpm. No warning, just no oomph. Does the Puma engine have a "limp home" mode ?

...just wondering what to tell the MT folk on Monday, they'd all gone by the time I got back to Stirling.

...and Donald, yes, its one of yours.... :-)

G. 
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

aqms987

Re: Puma - 3000 RPM Tops
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 11:33:37 AM »
 Yes my TDCI did the same thing & it turned out to be the EGR valve seized, new valve fitted & the computer informed of it. The vehicle now runs as well as it did previously but I have my fingers crossed just in case! A new valve costs around £112:00 trade plus the dreaded VAT.

genem

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 08:52:31 PM »
Luckily its not my problem AQ, its a white fleet wagon so they can sort it out !

genem

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 05:00:25 PM »
RAC came out - attached the diagnostics kit. "Nothing wrong mate". " OK, you get it above 3000 rpm then".

"Ah, see what you mean."

......its at Morrisons. EGR remains likley culprit.

:(

Mike

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 08:56:57 AM »
Potentially a clutch switch. If the ECM thinks the clutch is pressed, it limits the revs to 3000rpm...

genem

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 10:28:35 AM »
Potentially a clutch switch. If the ECM thinks the clutch is pressed, it limits the revs to 3000rpm...

I love my 300 Tdi..... nice and simple, just like me.

genem

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 10:36:06 AM »
First trip out, Inverness and back, after being returned by the main dealer - did it again. 4 times. Back into the dealers today.

Symptoms are: Driving along, no problem. Engine suddly becomes unresponsive, loses power, will not rev above 3000 rpm and even that at a struggle.  Stop vehicle, switch off, re-start, fault disappears, vehicle runs fine for maybe another hour or two....and repeat. Engine management light only came on once in all of these events - and was not there when the RAC turned up...  Happens under any driving conditions from 70 in 6th to crawling in roadworks, I can't identify any pattern or trigger.  Grrrr.

coolcamper55

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 12:21:53 PM »
Can I ask if there is a muffler on the radiator?

This issue has occurred with engines that are overheating and the sensor triggers the emu to go into safe mode.
If the coolant is low or the sensor is faulty then this will trigger the ecm. If its doing 70 then it will maybe get hot and crawling through roadworks will do the same. When you stop is the viscous fan working its socks off?

My advice would be to consider

1) heat building up at the head CHT sensor . It is a sensor away back at the bulkhead on the top of the engine
2) Grubby MAF
3) Stuck EGR
4) Do you have a RAI? Restriction of air flow in hot weather plus 1) - 3)

Tommy

There is another forum for the PUMA stuff that might help

http://www.defender2.net/forum/index.php

genem

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 02:00:35 PM »
Dunno Tommy. Its a "White fleet" vehicle - contract hire job.  When it goes wrong we are instructed to just call out recovery.  Personally its just re-inforcing my dislike of LR electrickery. I suggest they approach VW for a few lessons in reliability.