Lost heating in Disco 2

· 6 · 1697

DRH

Lost heating in Disco 2
« on: January 13, 2013, 10:48:02 PM »
Before I start ripping everything to bit's Can anyone point me in the right direction first.

The car's a T plate Disco 2 TD5 with electronic climate control rather than the standard rotary heating controls.

Everything was working ok until yesterday when the car felt cold so I turned the temperature up and it didn't get any warmer on either side of the car.

The water level in the expansion tank is ok, and it hadn't been using any.  I bled it and back fed the system through the top bleeder hole just to make sure it hadn't developed an air lock, but no change.

The temperature guage sits where it should in the middle and I ran from Stirling to Dunfermline and back to Larbert without any sign of over heating, but the inside of the car was absolutely freezing.  At one point I got some lukewarm air through but not enough to make the car comfortable.  I can also reduce the temperature down to freezing and get it back up to lukewarm.

The air con's never worked (that Ive noticed).

Any pointers in the right direction would be appreciated before I start going down the wrong direction and replacing sensors etc.

As yet I haven't had time to do the manual diagnostic as detailed in the Workshop manual

Duncan

rangerovering

Re: Lost heating in Disco 2
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 06:41:17 PM »
Are the pipes to and from the heater box both hot?
Steve

mikes lr

• Name: michael sherwood
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 06:58:56 PM »
Before I start ripping everything to bit's Can anyone point me in the right direction first.

The car's a T plate Disco 2 TD5 with electronic climate control rather than the standard rotary heating controls.

Everything was working ok until yesterday when the car felt cold so I turned the temperature up and it didn't get any warmer on either side of the car.

The water level in the expansion tank is ok, and it hadn't been using any.  I bled it and back fed the system through the top bleeder hole just to make sure it hadn't developed an air lock, but no change.

The temperature guage sits where it should in the middle and I ran from Stirling to Dunfermline and back to Larbert without any sign of over heating, but the inside of the car was absolutely freezing.  At one point I got some lukewarm air through but not enough to make the car comfortable.  I can also reduce the temperature down to freezing and get it back up to lukewarm.

The air con's never worked (that Ive noticed).

Any pointers in the right direction would be appreciated before I start going down the wrong direction and replacing sensors etc.

As yet I haven't had time to do the manual diagnostic as detailed in the Workshop manual

Duncan

try this
http://www.thed2boysclub.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=18479

DRH

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 10:24:33 PM »
Hi Steve
Both pipes are hot

Mike
Thanks for the link  I've posted on the forum and wait and see if I get a reply

Thought about a disposable barbeque but I would have to make a chimney

Duncan

mikes lr

• Name: michael sherwood
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 11:07:14 PM »
Hi Steve
Both pipes are hot

Mike
Thanks for the link  I've posted on the forum and wait and see if I get a reply

Thought about a disposable barbeque but I would have to make a chimney

Duncan
the link  was for climate control diagnostis just follow the instructions and see what comes up

DRH

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 08:16:40 PM »
Did the manual diagnostic tonight, but the only fault codes that came up were the left and right sunlight sensor was faulty (code 21 and 22)  Not surprising since it was dark and I could only try to trick it with a torch

I'll try it again at the weekend  Perhaps I'll try taking the sensor out at the end of the heater matrix and see if the matrix is getting hot