Calling all 2.4 tdci puma owners.

· 5 · 1542

scotdub

Calling all 2.4 tdci puma owners.
« on: December 23, 2012, 09:56:45 PM »
I have a question. I recently went and test drove a 2008 puma with 38k on the clock. I noticed a slight rattle coming from the gearstick area when turning the engine on and again when it was turned off. Spoke to the salesman and he said it was the dual mass flywheel giving a rattle. That is normal so im told. But i was not happy with that and did abit of digging on the internet. The puma don't have a dmf so I was woundering if anyone else has this rattle on start up or turning off the engine? and if anyone knows what could be the actual cause of said rattle. Just do not expect to hear a noise like that from a new 90 as the rest of the vehicle is very tight and smooth. Any help would be greatly appreciated before I part with cash and regret it.

Thanks

Gary

coolcamper55

Re: Calling all 2.4 tdci puma owners.
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 04:15:35 PM »
I have a Puma with just coming up on 60k and I do not get a rattle at start up or shut down.

I do however get a vibration when the vehicle is running in a gear that is too high for the incline or the load. Let me explain.
When I am poodling alongin 6th gear at 60 with the caravan on the back and the road is flat no probs. When I hit an incline and cannot be ar**d dropping into 5th I get a vibration on the stick.

Other than that no issues, sales people sometime talk through a hole in their shirt dont they.

Tommy

scotdub

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 06:55:17 PM »
Thanks tommy. Have you had any other problems with the puma. Just reading alot of horror stories on them with fuel problems and gearbox problems. A friend of mine was saying something about the egr cleaning its self. It was to much of an obvious noise to be something from factory.

coolcamper55

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 11:20:44 PM »
.............. Have you had any other problems with the puma. .......................

How long have you got lol

Hinges all replaced
Vacumn pump replaced
UJ's on Propshaft
Heater controls jammed cable snapped
Heated rear window - elements disintgrated and needed to be bypassed for high level brakelight, new window acquired, weather pending lol
I had an advisory at the MOT that the rear shock lower bushes could be doing with a changeout
Nothing major though and it does do its turn off road at least once a week.

Tommy

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 01:52:54 PM »
Both our works PUMA Station Wagons do a sort of "Chunking " ratchety sort of noise on shutdown.
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....