Car insurance for a 17 year old??

· 9 · 2998

Buffalo Bill

• Name: Bill Conner
Car insurance for a 17 year old??
« on: December 21, 2012, 09:53:03 AM »
As above i am looking to insure my son on my landie, its a 1988 defender. Adrian flux will only give temp insurance max 6 months.

Any recomendations where to get insurance that he can atleast get no claims on??

thanks Bill
1989 110
1990 90
1988 90
1972 V8 WOOP WOOP

top drive

• They gave me an MOT - fools
Re: Car insurance for a 17 year old??
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 11:02:13 AM »
you tried the co-op ....

they insured me on my own policy when no one else would touch me at 17 without charging both arms, both legs and an ear.

`87 ninety - full rebuild with 11l 200tdi conversion ,2 inch lift and 13 inch shocks and relevent protection/sliders./ dislocation cones

Goes like a stabbed rat.

Dave T

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 11:18:37 AM »
there are a couple of other options, get him as a named driver on a policy in your name, most cmpanies will recognise that he has been driving and transfer the no claims, or make you and SWMBO named drivers on his policy.
1994 Defender 90
2016 D4 Graphite

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 11:22:21 AM »
Spent a cople of hours yesterday looking for Insurance for our oldest, hoping he'll pass his test this coming spring. Cheapest I could find was £1700 for a car < 1lt engine size, no driving after 6pm.  - Co-op, with their black box fitted. Won't insure him on the landrover, its "too old". :-(
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

top drive

• They gave me an MOT - fools
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 11:50:08 AM »
wow things have changed alot since i passed...

i remember i could insure a volvo 340 turbo cheaper than a 1 litre fiesta as statistically folk my age driving 340s were driving their parents cars and being careful with it.

if doing as dave describes then make sure he is at least living with you and the cars in your name as "technically" what he describes is illigal in some instances as its fronting - i had a few mates who got suspicious phone calls from their insurance when they were insuring THEIR corsa SRIs in their mums name to get it cheaper and not even living at home.

if its your car , your using it and hes using it occasionally then all is fine as thats what its meant for. 

`87 ninety - full rebuild with 11l 200tdi conversion ,2 inch lift and 13 inch shocks and relevent protection/sliders./ dislocation cones

Goes like a stabbed rat.

piper5

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 12:28:58 PM »
admiral multi car is well worth a look if you have a few motors
my insurance is £1050
for disco 3. me and wife with business use
pug 307 hdi me and wife business use
300 tdi 110 me and mate modified and business use
pug 106 18 yr old daughter one years no claims,
broke down it works out at roughly 200 for the disco , 160 for the pug 307, 240 for the 110 and £450 for my daughter

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 01:41:46 PM »
if doing as dave describes then make sure he is at least living with you and the cars in your name as "technically" what he describes is illigal in some instances as its fronting.................hes using it occasionally then all is fine as thats what its meant for.

A couple of companies I spoke to won't even go for that. If you have multiple vehicles they will only accept a new "young driver" if they are noted as the main driver for one of the vehicles, although they did have the grace to say that having a parent noted on the policy did reduce the premium.

He spent some time looking to insure a Freelander...... £7000 !   
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

DRH

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012, 03:57:02 PM »
I had mine qwith Brit Multicar up untiul earlier this month, when at renewal they were pulling out of the multicar market apparantly

I'm now with Equity Red Star through a borker called Primo PLC who I been with for 3-4 years.

The premium this year was £901.  They seem to work on the total value of the vehicles.

I've currently got

S Type Jag 2.7
Discovery 2
Landrover 90
Series 2a

For another £50 they will add on my wife's year old Citroen C4 at her renewal next year because it's over the total value threshold of £20k   I suppose if I reduced the value of the older ones down to very little, it wouldn't cost me theextra £50.

Did all the usual checks to make sure I was getting what I needed and made sure I had green laning cover etc.  Equally important is to get in writing what isn't right or acceptab;e to you.  I also didn't take on the extra's such as £64 recovery per vehcile or the courtesy car.  Only real proof of how good the broker/insurer is will be if I need to make a claim.

Interesting thing is that they are happy to insure as many cars as you like, but are keen to restrict the number of drivers (lessens the risk I suppose)

Happy for now

Duncan

vag_landy

• Name: Greg Leighton
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2012, 01:04:33 PM »
I'm 23 and had this problem for the last 2 years getting insurance , commercial classed (hardtop, pickup) land rovers are harder and more expensive to insure than say a station wagon defender. A lot don't allow younger drives due to under writer policy I'm with Adrian flux at the moment but its not cheap as my car insurance was 250 and land rover is 1300 and I have 4 years no claims bonus. Probably best to  wait it out cause I had a series 3 at 17 and had to sell due to cost of insurance/ fuel as I was a student then. See if the insurance company recognise pass plus. Named driver is probably only way to get him on policy.
Vw Audi Group
PP Golf GTi
Puma XS 90
Ex MOD 90