Battery warning light and choke light not going out

· 5 · 1528

jas23

• Name: John Sinclair
Battery warning light and choke light not going out
« on: December 13, 2012, 10:40:36 PM »
Hi Everone need some help my 1989 110 is driving me mad. 4 weeks ago i found side lights coming on but not main beam all the time had to flick switch a few times ar just drive and lights would come on after about 20 yards. 3 weeks age drove home 145 miles with candles for lights and battery warning light on quite dim and battery voltage meter in the red. so heater ,radio, satnav all off and stopped every few miles and switched off lights to charge batterys back up ( yip 2 x batterys) volt meter back to middle after about 10 mins. Start driving with lights on and 450 yards meters back in red and lights dim. OK got home late nipped into see GEMM sat morning and purchased new alternator. When new alternator was fitted same issues but now notice that choke warning light is also on very dim (glow plug light) since then I have checked batterys and purchased a new 069 and fitted and also found that my lights not going onto main beam instantly was to do with the relay behind fuse box (red plug one) now they are working fine just a loose wire. But the battery warning light just stays on some times going dim while driving also light and heater on put my voltage meter into red. I have disconected the second battery and battery warning light with either batter will not let the warning light go off checked voltage to batterys with everything swithed off and found the main one is after 5 min ticking over charging at 14.2 and the second one is sitting at 13.9 the battery charger system seems to be a 45 AMP Relay connecting lots of wires which also seem to work my roof lights? Checked all lights working and earth that I can find and still red battery warning light and choke light still on. any help (Please no matter how daft) as I am going mad with this one. Was thinking it might be may light stalk swith or glow plug system there is no relay for glow plugs on bulkhead area. this will help people that can't sleep at night. Thanks John.

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
Re: Battery warning light and choke light not going out
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 11:45:46 PM »
Have a look inside the stalk - check it out for melting so the contacts don't engage. Dunno about the choke light etc... Hope you've not got the issues I found - PO had wired up extra lights with those blue snap connectors.......melted wiring all over the shop inside the dash creating random shorts everywhere. I ended up stripping the lot out and running new HD cable on a couple of circuits. Damn nuisance when its all bundled together an inch thick.... 
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

piper5

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 07:33:46 AM »
have a look at the earth straps, if they are corroded the car will look for other earth paths like the choke cable, my e reg 110 had earth issues and it melted handbrake cables.
its better to replace the straps rather than clean them, i also added a new one from engine to chassis to body as someone else on here suggested.

prof-pat-pending

• Name: nick
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 10:33:54 AM »
have a look at the earth straps, if they are corroded the car will look for other earth paths like the choke cable, my e reg 110 had earth issues and it melted handbrake cables.
its better to replace the straps rather than clean them, i also added a new one from engine to chassis to body as someone else on here suggested.
will agree with that ^^^^
main one is the one from battery to body - allways worth replacing
life is but a journey from birth to death - why rush ?
run a series landie and take your time
http://cumbriaclassiclandrovers.createaforum.com/index.php

jas23

• Name: John Sinclair
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 05:54:12 PM »
OK thanks
Checked out light stalk swith today with no issues with wiring so earths next.
Keep any sugestions coming thanks
John