Welder

· 8 · 1809

AberdeenRob

• Name: Robbie Stephen
Welder
« on: December 03, 2012, 03:05:51 PM »
Hi all,

I'm going to buy a mig welder to patch up a few holes in the defender chassis.  I was thinking of getting a Clarke 135te, but am open to recommendations if anyone thinks that's the wrong choice?

Also, does anyone know where best to get welding gas in or around aberdeen?

Cheers,
Robbie

101splat

Re: Welder
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 04:46:51 PM »
hi robbie i use a clarke red mig 151 great at welding landies and more bit dearer but great welder if u google hobby gas they do all mixes of gas and no bottle rental u have to pay bit more but worth it in long run as once as you find 1 hole there be others the joy of owning landrovers im affraid
1965 reliant regal
1976 v8 101 radio body
2002 volvo v70 d5

top drive

• They gave me an MOT - fools
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 12:41:55 PM »
Robbie , first up where in shire do you hail from. Im in culter

I have the 151 its been a good welder earnt its keep doing my landy and jobbing for family and friends, do you have a house where you can put a dedicated 15amp unit in to run it, the 151 on full chap will chew 13 amp fuses

You can bodge it but not recomended.

When i need to weld full tilt i use the cooker outlet in the kitchen and a heavy duty generator extension lead.

Full powers only really needed for 4mm + plate which is overkill for landy , i used 4mm on my dads trailer. Never touched my landy on full power

A 135 would probably do the job fine.
`87 ninety - full rebuild with 11l 200tdi conversion ,2 inch lift and 13 inch shocks and relevent protection/sliders./ dislocation cones

Goes like a stabbed rat.

AberdeenRob

• Name: Robbie Stephen
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 01:16:20 PM »
Am living in Countesswells at the moment, but likely to be moving somewhere else (Stonehaven maybe?) in the new year.  Sadly I'm renting so can't really hack around the electrics of the house.  As I've not got a garage I'm going to be renting a bit of space in a local farmer's barn to do the work over the winter with normal domestic 13A supply and 3-phase if I want it.

top drive, Whereabouts do you get your gas from?

ffourphantomfixer

• Name: Andrew Forrest
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 06:49:28 PM »
There is a test of mig welders in this months (Jan 2013) Land Rover Monthly, they test 7 migs.
She said at my age I need something else to play with

piper5

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 09:19:21 PM »
have a look at what tips, shrouds and wire the machines use and see how easy they are to get, some use industry standard consumables but some of the smaller ones use bits that are only for that machine, getting tips can then be a pain

allen

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 09:23:54 PM »
I have a Clarke 230te its a great welder  :)

top drive

• They gave me an MOT - fools
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 09:39:57 PM »
ah your no far awa.

http://www.hobbyweld.co.uk/default.php?page=55

is as good as any , but you will need a regulator for thay big bottles - i also need to build a cart of sorts to move it about as its a pain so.

- the one that comes with the clarke welders is rubbish.

the torch on the 151 uses tips that are easily availible from halfords and weldquip

« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 12:09:18 PM by Admin »
`87 ninety - full rebuild with 11l 200tdi conversion ,2 inch lift and 13 inch shocks and relevent protection/sliders./ dislocation cones

Goes like a stabbed rat.