Ex Post Office Telephones Series 3 in Dumfermline

· 9 · 2136

EuanM

Ex Post Office Telephones Series 3 in Dumfermline
« on: October 30, 2012, 08:23:14 PM »
A couple of weeks ago there was an ex-Post Office Telephones Series 3 SWB station wagon for sale on www.carandclassic.co.uk. Vehicle was painted in BT yellow. The seller was based in Dunfermline. Unfortunately the advert has disappeared (seemingly not sold) before I could note the details. Does anybody know the vendor and are they a member of the club? I know someone who may be interested.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Euan

stage recovery

Re: Ex Post Office Telephones Series 3 in Dumfermline
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 08:52:24 PM »
Hi Euan, I am from the area, I am afraid I do not know of this motor,but I do remember occasionally  seeing a BT Landrover in the old PO garage in Cambell St Dunfermline round about the 1980,s(I was a Royal Mail buildings maintenance engineer until last year) It was fitted with a front capstan winch which was used to pull cables through underground ducts. On each front wing was an emergency stop button to be able to stop the engine in a hurry if required.

coolcamper55

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 09:39:00 AM »
I used to drive one of these BT vehicles for about two years as a lineman, all over Argyll and Bute areas. Noisy as it gets but great fun and the steering took a bit of getting used to as it did not return to straight if you let the steering wheel go. It had to be moved back by hand. Caught me out a few times I can tell you.

Tommy

mike66

• Name: Mike Wheeler
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 06:28:36 PM »
I stay in Dunfermline and I'll keep me eyes open, if I spot anything I'll post here.

I'm amazed I've never seen it, something like that would stick out you'd have thought!! I'll dig out my magifiying glass and go investigating  :D

EuanM

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 08:23:06 PM »
Thanks guys. It said in the advert it was recently recommissioned after several years off the road so it may not be that widely known. It was still fitted with a capstan winch but the emergency stops were missing. I was wondering what the things on top of the wings were in the picture I had found of one in service with BT!

Alan Mc

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 09:34:41 PM »
Like mike66, am in Dunfermline and if I see it, will post you.

Alan.

georgew

No need to be stuck for long.
www.recce-gear.co.uk

EuanM

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2012, 07:00:48 PM »
Thanks George, that's the vehicle.

georgew

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2012, 07:30:40 PM »
It brought the RR to my attention.