TD5 disco injector harness or fuel system?

· 14 · 4778

graeme1mckay

• Name: graeme mckay
TD5 disco injector harness or fuel system?
« on: October 29, 2012, 02:08:58 PM »
Bought a disco 2 td5 auto in june. The day i picked it up from MVM in cairnyhill, Dunfermline it started to lose power, misfire and die. They asked me to take it to GEMM in Larbert. They kindly looked at it and saw oil in the red plug at the cpu. I managed to drive it back to MVM where they changed the injector harness and said they checked the main harness which apparently was fine. The car ran fine for approx 300miles and the same symptons reappearred. MVM took it back and they put a fuel pump in. I went to pick the car up after they had it for 5 weeks and wasnt even a mile away and it started again. They then took it to GEMM who fitted an air flow meter. It ran for a few days and then failed to start. RAC came out and jumped it, it started after turning over for ages. The tank was half empty. I filled up and ran it for a week, it wouldnt start again. I jumped it myself and it started eventualy. The tank was half empty again. Its now run fine for 4 weeks as i havent left the tank below 3/4full. Yesterday it died completely. Ive replaced the fuel filter and after a jump and ages turning over it started. It sat ticking over for about 5minutes as i tided up. I took it a run and got 300 yards and it died again. It now only runs on 4 cylinders after lots of turning over. What the f*#k is wrong?

mikes lr

• Name: michael sherwood
Re: TD5 disco injector harness or fuel system?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 02:38:13 PM »
first off look at coper injector seals might be fubard sending soot back to the tank £20
then the next or maybe first off change the airbleed valve in the feulfilter head £15
make shure you clean injector harness plugs regular aswell as the ecu red plug clean them with brake and clutch cleaner £3 a can
do all of the above and you will have a good runing disco
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 02:43:35 PM by mikes lr »

vag_landy

• Name: Greg Leighton
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 09:56:34 PM »
Check fuel pressure regulator on rear of engine on drivers side sounds like air in fuel system
Vw Audi Group
PP Golf GTi
Puma XS 90
Ex MOD 90

The Classic Man

• Name: Robin Watt
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 12:03:33 PM »
Take it to Strathearn  Egineering just off the A9 at Aberuthven Perthshire they are very good.
The Classic Man
Heros & RNLI member

Alex

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 12:37:25 PM »
Hi,

These symptoms seem very much like I've been experiencing with my D2 TD5.

The list of things replaced or checked over the past few months is quite extensive

Injector harness replaced,
Injector seals replaced,(three times)
FPR replaced,
Fuel filter assembly replaceed,
Fuel pump replaced.

The cylinder head was removed and pressure tested off of the engine and was found to be porous from one of the injector ports to an exhaust port, allowing exhaust gases to pressurise the fuel system.

The distance travelled between breakdowns varied from 800 miles to 300 yards.

The situation at the moment is that my local garage is trying to source a replacement head at a price much lower than land rover's £3188 plus VAT.

The only bright side to all this, according to one of my daughters, is that I've saved a fortune in diesel over the past few months.

Regards,

Alex

The Classic Man

• Name: Robin Watt
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 12:54:06 PM »
Alex if you are looking for a replacement cyl.head have you tried Island 4x4 their price is £1,099 plus vat. I think it comes complete with valves.
The Classic Man
Heros & RNLI member

graeme1mckay

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 04:20:48 PM »
Alex. Ive now changed the injector seals and got it to fire up. Its only running on 4 now. I shouldnt moan as it 4 more than the last 2 days
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 05:24:17 PM by graeme1mckay »

piper5

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 05:27:45 PM »
did you change them one at a time they are coded

Sooty

• been there winched that
  • Name: mike robertson
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2012, 06:55:14 PM »
the injectors are coded but the coding wont make any odds to the running of the engine.......

Started out with nothing,
Still have most of it left

graeme1mckay

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2012, 02:13:32 PM »
I made sure the injectors went into the holes they came out of. I adjusted the rockers slightly and took it a thrash (as close to a thrash as you can in a sluggish auto) it seems to be running fine now. My theory for thrashing it was if i terminally broke it my wife would let me get a defender but looks like im stuck with disco2 for now. Taking it to edinburgh tonight so fingers crossed it makes it

ffourphantomfixer

• Name: Andrew Forrest
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2012, 04:06:14 PM »
Transplant a 4.0 V8   SWEEEEEEEEEET.........................
She said at my age I need something else to play with

WELDER 1

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2012, 06:55:35 PM »
take it to andy white at gorgie he.ll fix it

graeme1mckay

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2012, 12:18:55 PM »
Its had a few weeks of running fine now except when i ran out of fuel. It took ages to fire up then only ran on 4 cylinders again until i booted it up the motorway.

kenny

• Name: kenny grier
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2012, 04:53:22 PM »
Its had a few weeks of running fine now except when i ran out of fuel. It took ages to fire up then only ran on 4 cylinders again until i booted it up the motorway.
if you run out again, you can purge the fuel system to save you turning the engine over for ages. turn on ignition, pump throtle pedal 5 times, engine management light will start flashing and the fuel pump will start. leave it purging until the engine light stops flashing and the fuel system will be free of air.
2003 discovery TD5 GS

Nanocom evo