1990 defender drop arm help

· 4 · 1173

shug

• Name: Hugh Kay
1990 defender drop arm help
« on: September 14, 2012, 12:02:45 PM »
 hi all
i am looking for some help with steering box drop arm. can anyone tell me if you can get a balljoint repair kit and if so is this a worthwhile repair ( will it last ) , or is it better to just  get the whole arm. also any pointers in how best to go about removal and refitting . many thanks shug...

aqms987

Re: 1990 defender drop arm help
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 07:19:57 PM »
 I have fitted repair kits in several Defenders with satisfactory results. If the joint is not too bad you can get away with not replacing the top cup, merely replace the bottom cup, the ball/pin & the spring. The top cup can be a pest to extract, if you replace the rest & are still not satisfied then maybe worry about the top cup.

cooltshirt

• savethegaywhale.com
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 09:14:52 PM »
Have a look at http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=10088

I did one as suggested without changing the top cup and all was well .......... amazing how a removing what was a little bit of play sharpened up the steering.

I also managed to avoid removing the drop arm ............. so I was lucky, a quick job.

good luck
1983 110 V8. RIP

shug

• Name: Hugh Kay
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 08:04:12 PM »
thanks for the help, it was a very simple job to do with some pointers in the right direction. top cup fell out once it was stripped  :o . now there is very slight play with it all back together but its sooo much better, prob means new arm before next mot. thanks again shug...