SCCC Bathgate

· 43 · 11371

bcarlin

Re: SCCC Bathgate
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2012, 03:04:47 PM »
it would be better if there is more info on the 'sunday cup'
Turn up, do all the usual scrutineering & signing on, pay your 45 quid...... go racing.

What else do you need ;-)

When the event is put on the forthcoming events it should be stated that there is an option to only compete on  the Sunday. In my own opinion all the costs are getting higher and 2 day comps are no interest to me at the minute.
One thing i think would help Is shorter comps then you don't use as much fuel and the cars will have a higher chance of finishing the events

Team Wasp

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2012, 05:48:03 PM »

In my own opinion all the costs are getting higher and 2 day comps are no interest to me at the minute.
One thing i think would help Is shorter comps then you don't use as much fuel and the cars will have a higher chance of finishing the events

Brian

Sorry to hear that you are not interested in the two day comps and the longer courses.  Personally I prefer the two day comps as the travel cost is the same for one day or two.  A bit extra for race entry fee and fuel is a small price to pay for the chance of having twice as much fun/racing.  I do agree that shorter events are less sore on the cars and occupants.  However, shorter courses eg less than 3 miles are of little interest to me eg Auchentorlie whereas longer courses eg Drumclog, Bathgate and Forrest are quite exciting.

I agree the costs are of great significance to most of us including all the organisers and marshalls without whom we would not be able to hold any events.

My view is that if we didn't have two day events we would end up with no events at all due to reduced numbers.  I think that without the guys travelling significant distances like Mark, Colin, Jonathan, Nigel, Chris and Charlie etc (sorry if Ive missed you out) we would not have enough interest.  There is half your entry for Bathgate mentioned there.  How many of the folk south of Hadrians wall would head north for 3 or 4 hours for a one day event?  Especially when they could head south a similar time for a two day event eg BCCC, NORC or AWDC etc.  I think if it wasn't for them we could say goodbye to the SCCC.  I hope some of the guys mentioned above add their feedback!

We have been racing for five years now and could probably list 25 people who have a car sat in their garage and don't go racing anymore.  I hope the fact that Brian Carlin has mentioned this subject will spur some of those guys to come out of retirement and do a one day comp, even if it is the Sunday of a two day comp.  The more the merrier.  And they could turn up, get scrutineered, race and go home.  No need for the caravan or big spares package that may be daunting some of you/them.

It isn't that long ago that Team Bart almost singlehandedly kept the championship alive by entering 4 vehicles.  Shame that David has had so much undeserved misfortune with argubly the best comp safari racer in Scotland.  I hope it gets sorted very soon as he gets to enjoy it.

So guys, a bit more feedback on your thoughts as to how we increase turnout at these events would be appreciated.  Remember how much work goes in behind the scenes by a few people for a lot of people so don't let their efforts go unrewarded and lets go racing! 

Brian

Dsteven

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2012, 10:52:18 PM »
I'm 100% with Brian Hilditch on the two day comps for a variety of reasons. The costs to transport, the time to carry out all the pre-event checks, set the course out, do all the paperwork, then gather in the course and finally wash the car down after the event are all exactly the same. The opportunity to drive twice the mileage is a bonus since the competing part is what it's all about, is in not?

It's also worth looking at how many of the guys from South of the border were at the first event this year and that's not a critism, since at most events the English contingent make up near half the field in our Scottish championship but the thought of driving 200 - 300 miles for twenty miles of driving often doesn't justify the costs nor the time. And not forgetting about Colin and Michelle who likewise travel from afar in order to race. So one day events are perhaps fine if there literally on your doorstep but not for everyone. Sunday Cup's fine, the more the merrier and as Ian notes pay £45, get scrutineered and off you go whatever sees the numbers grow.

Perhaps, another benefit of a weekend event is that it allows a degree of socializing with the competitors, marshals and their friends/families, which likewise cannot be underestimated.

But as for me, two days events everytime, please.

Alan A

• Name: Alan Agnew
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2012, 03:07:24 PM »
I think the 2 day comps put some people off

In what way?  At least half of our regular entrants are travelling 3 - 4 hours to get to the events from south of the border (and one very north of the border!), they only make that kind of commitment because we have two days of racing to make up for the journey. Anyone local or on a limited budget has the advantage of being able to do the Sunday laps for a very economical days racing. Short of awarding prizes for yellow cars, I like to think our Championship has been organised to offer the broadest appeal. But I'm all ears to suggestions and offers of help!

Alan
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 03:15:23 PM by Alan A »

bcarlin

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2012, 03:59:57 PM »
Alan as i said it puts some people off not all 
Some people work on Saturdays also the costs of 2 days racing and the other issue of accommodation for the weekend all adds up
There is no right or wrong answer everyone has different circumstances and budgets
My main point is to simply let people know the option is there for a Sunday only or the full weekend then it's up to them to decide what to enter
Why not organise a meeting one day/night sometime with all drivers from the past 4 years or so and then everyone can have there say and opinions

Sims

« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2012, 06:38:09 PM »
Would it be an idea to gather all the competitors together at drumclog and get their opinions and views on the subject!

bcarlin

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2012, 06:58:49 PM »
Sharon It would be good if all drivers(even ones who are not competing) could be notified about it then everyone can get the chance to come, I think it's a good idea then gets there views across.
After thinking about the 'Sunday cup' if there is only 5 laps on the Sunday then it might be better to make the 1 day championship on the Saturday then they get more laps for there money

Alan A

« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2012, 08:17:51 PM »
it might be better to make the 1 day championship on the Saturday

Need to make up your mind about the point of this, do more folk work on a Saturday (so can't compete) or do you want the one day entry competition on the Saturday?

As a club SLROC make a commitment to run events for the members and we do that with the hope (and a bit of prayer!) that you all turn up to take part! On the whole, even through this recession, each competing part (ie TYRO, RTV, CCV) have been able to cover the cost of events and maintain a small surplus to ensure the continuing sucess of the club. What we identified right at the start of the idea to run a one day only entry to our comps was that competitors might just enter Saturday, see how it went then enter again on Sunday if all was well. Nice idea if we enjoyed thirty plus entries at each round, but we don't! If you want to enjoy comp safari racing in Scotland then, putting it bluntly, you have to pay your money and you take your chance! Hence it was decided to make it a "Sunday League" We need the commitment of competitors to keep the events running as no part of the competitive side of the club runs at a loss to be subsidised by the other competitive disciplines, and the commitment shown by our friends from south of the border must be congratulated and serve as a reminder to us all up here that if the SCCC is not supported, we will all be driving a long way south to enjoy our sport!

The organisation of the SCCC season usually consists of two meetings, one at the end of the season to review the years events and again just before the start of the new season to make sure everything is in place for the continuing sucess of this championship, anyone is welcome to these meetings and I will ensure that they are well publicised to all the competitors. Every competitor in the SCCC both past and present is on the email list that is advised of all events and asked for their comments at the end of each season, to date, only three have ever sent me any reply with constructive criticisim or comment of any kind, all of which was taken on board I must add.

bcarlin

« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2012, 08:51:30 PM »
That's why the more opinions from drivers would be better
The club can't meet everyone's needs but it would be nice to know why less people are not competing
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 08:58:00 PM by bcarlin »

northern focker

« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2012, 11:10:43 PM »
Hi guys, look what we are doing now is what we need to do to keep the SCCC going because I have always said from the
first time I took up the sport how friendly everyone is and how much help is always at hand from everyone involved , this is
one of the reason I think us guys from the south keep coming, I totally agree with Brian Hilditch about the two day events
and with Dsteve about the social side of the events.
The Sunday cup is a great idea as long as the guys who want it are going to surport it, even coming along on a saturday night and have a beer and a chat would be great to. I have been pushing the guys that live close to me to get there new cars finished and there is also one or two sitting on finished cars who just need a little more friendly arm twisting to get out there ,I am sure there is a few of you up north that could do the same, tell them about the sunday cup ,ask them what they want to see happen to get them back don t just rely on the club to tell people  ???
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 11:13:15 PM by northern focker »

LBART

• Name: lee bartlett
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2012, 12:14:46 AM »
I think the Sunday cup is a good think to those who only want one days racing or who can only commit to one day due to work commitments.but its a lot off expense to travel and compete for only 5laps so in my opinion if the events were running over two days split the laps and have it 8laps sat and 7 Sunday it would make it better for both parties then it would make it a bit more worth while to travel for one day.
My work commitments mite be changeing and mite only be able to commit to one day and would not travel to Forrest or Glendarg for 5laps it's pointless.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 12:22:13 AM by LBART »
TeamBart
Cross Country Motorsport

Alan A

« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2012, 09:36:07 AM »
and would not travel to Forrest or Glendarg for 5laps it's pointless.

Errmmm???........At Forrest Estate we only do 5 laps each day as they are about 7 or 8 miles long, hardly short changing anyone there for that kind of mileage and Glendearg is only a one day event, you get all 10 laps there for your money   ???

northern focker

« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2012, 09:46:43 AM »
I think you need to look at mileage not laps, we also may have to scrap night laps to get more in on sunday.

Dsteven

« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2012, 10:15:47 AM »
I will keep this one brief!

If there is a genuine interest in one day Comps then great. I will make the following suggestions in an attempt to move things on and which may possibly result in an increase in the overall participating numbers.

Firstly, I will despite being committed to the continued support of the two day events, will assuming it is appropriate, sponsor the the provision of a new "One Day Comp" trophy. I have listed my initial thoughts below in order to kick things off.

One Day format- The events will follow the current series on the same circuits, with competitors being able to compete either on the Saturday OR the Sunday. Hopefully, that would give the level of flexibility to those who do work weekends. Points would be awarded based on the lowest average lap time for either day, which would allow for events to run with 6 laps on the Saturday and only 5 laps on the Sunday due to say adverse weather. (A little bit more work for Mr Agnew but hey that's what happens when you take the rise out of having a yellow car!!). :) Competitors participating in the Two Day series would in the event of retirement would be ineligible for points in the One Day series. Results would be based on Day time runs only, in the event of a Saturday entry at either Drumclog or Bathgate, where night runs may still be part of the Two day series.

All other rules would remain applicable, ie 70% of laps complete on either day to count as a finish.

Thoughts?

David Steven Car 14 ...The Yellow one!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 10:18:06 AM by Dsteven »

LBART

• Name: lee bartlett
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2012, 10:42:14 AM »
I would agree with dstevens as that seems a good way to run it and be happy with that.
At least some one is listening to suggestion
I Myself support the two day events but if my work commitments change a will no longer be able to attend them so it would be good to get one days playing.
However the one day play needs to be appealing for people to make the same effort to travel for it, as those travelling for the two day events. By offering 7 or 8 laps apose to 5 laps for the one day play I feel this would be worth while to travel to any event.
TeamBart
Cross Country Motorsport