V8 conversion from a 19J

· 1 · 787

top drive

• They gave me an MOT - fools
V8 conversion from a 19J
« on: July 31, 2012, 10:18:45 AM »
Morning,

From a friend on this here forum im looking at taking his old 3.5V8 with SU carbs from a rotten disco and fitting it to my 19j equipped ninety. (im stuck in nigeria at the moment so just really trying to get a plan/price in my head without having either vehicle to hand and super slow internet)

Im sure this is a conversion done by many of you ( or from 200tdi)

Any pearls of wisdom i may find useful ?

its coming out of a disco so what else if anything should i grab from the disco to make life easier slightly better?

am i better to loose my middle seat and use the disco gear box or does that mean i need different props ? - if so am i best to mount the engine to my existing box and mount the engine to suit - i believe this is further forward than a standard mount V8 ?

are there standard props from other vehicles i could use to mount the v8 further forward and then have the discos gear box in the right place without having to modify the tunnel and seat box heavily?

Will probably also mount the discos rear axel in place of my drum brake model.

Dont mind a bit of home brew fab work - it doesnt need to be factory fit as its not a show vehicle BUT obviously im limited - i cant go making custom length props and the like.

found alot of conflicting info on the best way to do it - im not looking for the best im looking for the easiest - most taxing stuation will be the odd RTV/Tyro - mostly just for winter use around my house - the 19js just about had it

Cheers  for any input.
`87 ninety - full rebuild with 11l 200tdi conversion ,2 inch lift and 13 inch shocks and relevent protection/sliders./ dislocation cones

Goes like a stabbed rat.