MOT standards

· 5 · 1414

aqms987

MOT standards
« on: July 30, 2012, 09:57:00 PM »

A worrying common theme on posts in this forum is the amount of work owners find necessary to carry out on their "beloved" landrover to pass the MOT test!  It should be noted that the annual test standard is an absolute minimum never to fall below! not a mountain to climb
once a year. To use a vehicle on a public road below MOT standard is an offense and may well invalidate the insurance. It is usually a condition of insurance companies that the vehicle will be roadworthy @ all times. The inference of many of the posts is that the owner has knowingly used the vehicle when below MOT standard. If the insurance is invalidated then another offence is committed and the Police now have the power to seize a vehicle which has no valid insurance. So think twice before using an unroadworthy vehicle on a public road!

Allan

agmech 53

• Name: Jim Wilson
Re: MOT standards
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 07:35:30 AM »
Just think, if there was a directory of owners vehicles on the site, you could troll the posts about work being done prior to MOT tests, cross reference the vehicles with thier owners, and report those that have, 'knowingly used the vehicle when below MOT standard' to the relevent authorities, that would be fun wouldn't it.....

So what I take from this post is that really, the police/vosa etc should be waiting outside all MOT stations and reporting every single car that has failed and MOT test? Or that the garages undertaking MOT tests should perhaps start reporting vehicle owners that have obviously driven their vehicles in an uroadworthy condition for perhaps a few weeks or months prior to their MOT?

Personally I think it's a good thing that the guys on here are doing jobs to allow their vehicle to pass it's MOT, that says to me that they are checking their vehicles regularly, and rectifying any problems found prior to the vehicle being presented to the MOT station. I've had a similar discussion with another forum member previously on here, who was pretty much of the opinion that vehicles should almost undergo and MOT style check every week! How, if you are not a trained MOT tester, do you know if your vehicle is up to MOT standard months after it's last MOT, unless it's totally obvious?

And in true Jerry Springer One final Thought style, this is a good reminder that this is an open forum, and you never know who's trolling about reading your posts, it would appear the big brother is out there and is watching........

top drive

• They gave me an MOT - fools
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 09:34:43 AM »
tbh ive seen friends with modern cars under 3 years old with them in non MOT states - when it comes to MOT they then just trade them in.......

thats how i bought my van for about half book value for an moted serviced vehicle because it had no service history and was not MOTed - quick service , new exhaust MOT - less than 3 year old van for 3 grand with 30k on the clock

so its not just landy owners.
`87 ninety - full rebuild with 11l 200tdi conversion ,2 inch lift and 13 inch shocks and relevent protection/sliders./ dislocation cones

Goes like a stabbed rat.

Pilot Custard

• Name: Ian Stuart
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 12:02:50 PM »
And in true Jerry Springer One final Thought style, this is a good reminder that this is an open forum, and you never know who's trolling about reading your posts, it would appear the big brother is out there and is watching........

... and just to point out that the folks who insure our competitions know all about YouTube and Flickr....

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 12:59:30 PM »
....and then there are MOT "failures" that have absolutely NO impact on the vehicles road-worthiness whatsoever. Out van "failed" because of a pencil sized hole in the steering rack gaiter. Ridiculous - and expensive.

Now, anyone taking to the road knowing that their vehicle is dangerous deserves a spank, but rather than lecture the rest of us, how about a few words of encouragement for people fighting to keep 40 year old vehicles, blessed with Joe Lucas's quality lighting and Leylands finest steel on the road ?

If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....