SIII - Perished Track Rod End Rubber Boots

· 6 · 1819

CBRCBR

SIII - Perished Track Rod End Rubber Boots
« on: July 25, 2012, 09:56:19 PM »
Hi Folks
About a year ago I replaced the rubber boots to 5 of the 6 steering track rod ends, with new boots.  All but 1 have perished. They have split wide open and are badly crazed/cracked, and the grease is visible through the splits.  I have hardly driven on them, so am sure the TRE's are fine.  I am not sure if the one that isn't perished is the original one.  I bought some of the boots from Craddocks and some from Paddocks, and don't know which is which, but know some are Britpart.  Unfortunately the one at the steering box drop arm is one of the ones that has split, so I need to take the wing off to replace a part that costs 99p!!!
I have done nothing strange (as far as I am aware), and the track rod ends have grease nipples fitted, which have been well greased with Castrol LM grease.
Has anyone else come across this so quickly and have any idea what may have caused it.  I don't want to have to go through this once a year!
Thanks for any advice,
Cheers Clive

Dogmatix

• Name: Dave
Re: SIII - Perished Track Rod End Rubber Boots
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 11:23:44 PM »
Hi,

I'm rebuilding a Series 3 and have replaced all the ball joints about a year ago.
I noticed one had exactly that problem the other day. The Landie's in a garage and in darkness when I'm not working on it, so it's not ultra violet that's done it in.
The Landies never been out the garage, let alone driven, odd how it's perished.
I bought all the ball joints from Paddocks so can't understand how one's gone that way.
Strange!!

Dave
Man has achieved great things armed with a large hammer and a good working knowledge in profanity..........

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 11:33:22 PM »
I bought all the ball joints from Paddocks so can't understand how one's gone that way.
Strange!!

Dave

Maybe old, old stock. I had a pair of insulated winter boots that were issued to me in Bosnia back in '99. I'd never worn them and kept them in storage in an old kit-bag since.... last winter I dug them out and started using them. The soles split on day two and the heels were breaking up too - big chunks of tread breaking off. Turns out the rubber compound has a 10 year shelf-life. :-(
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

CBRCBR

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 09:19:04 PM »
I took the drag link off today, and the links below should take you to pictures of the boots - thay were much worse than I thought.  Good job I hadn't driven with them like that.

http://i1250.photobucket.com/albums/hh528/cbrcbrcbr/P7250577.jpg
http://i1250.photobucket.com/albums/hh528/cbrcbrcbr/P7250578.jpg

I don't seem to be able to get the longitudinal link rod off the steering box drop arm, it clashes with a shoulder on the wing even on full lock, so it looks like the wing will need to come off!!

CBRCBR

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 07:26:12 PM »
Just noticed from the parts manual that my TRE's do not have part no 214662 fitted, which look like some form of cup.  Is this part important, and what does it do?  The rubber boots tended to sit quite flat, is that relevant or connected to the missing part 214662?
Any advice would be appreciated.
Cheers, Clive

aqms987

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 10:31:58 PM »
 Track rod end "boots",      those of you out there with boots holed on otherwise serviceable steering joints should be aware that some Motor Factors have got in on the act so it is possible to buy the boots separate from the joints, I understand that they come in packets of 10 or thereby but still cheaper than buying & changing new joints.

Allan