difflock

· 9 · 1872

red 90

difflock
« on: June 28, 2012, 05:27:55 PM »
my 90 seems to be stuck in difflock giving me wind up when driving. it has been off the road for 5 months during which i fitted a disco transfer box, but being a NA engine with bigger tyres the forum doubted that it would cope, so I put my old one back.

just as i completed the work whick was bulkhead, A posts and footwells, i developed a leak in the rear axle,

i got a replacement thro 'SLROC and thought that was causing it but yesterday, I swopped the diff and drive shafts over to the original and still have wind up.

could it be stuck due to non use ?

any advice would be gratefully received

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
Re: difflock
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 05:39:53 PM »
Simple stuff like driving for 50 metres in reverse ? That can free off the difflock when its in the "light stays on" mode.
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

red 90

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 06:13:58 PM »
hi, tried reversing 3 times, still locked!

vag_landy

• Name: Greg Leighton
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 06:44:55 PM »
Does the diff lock linkage on the transferbox move when moving inside lever can be viewed from hatch below where middle seat is located I had the opposite problem and lubed the linkages and adjusted the rods to engage
Vw Audi Group
PP Golf GTi
Puma XS 90
Ex MOD 90

mac90

• Name: Alasdair MacDonald
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 06:59:42 PM »
Hi all,

I have been helping Red 90 with his diflock issue..... The difflock appears to operate as we jacked up one front wheel and it spun free with DiffLock off, when engaged it locked up.

We then jacked one rear wheel up and it would not spin, only 1/4 turn.

I compared it to my landy and both my wheels spin free when disengaged.

hope this helps

Ta,

AL
Land Rover 90 1989 300tdi (sold)
Range Rover P38  1997 4.6HSE

Buffalo Bill

• Name: Bill Conner
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 07:08:32 PM »
Is everything ok with the handbrake ??
1989 110
1990 90
1988 90
1972 V8 WOOP WOOP

red 90

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 07:18:44 PM »
hi, hand brake seems to be ok feels free to go on and to go off, fitted new rear shoes and think they are free enough.

ian

MudBucket

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 09:17:14 AM »
sounds like the centre diff planet gears are jammed.
the difflock operates a splined shaft on the front output shaft and if it works when you put it on and off then the only thing that can be stopping it is the centre diff planet gears etc. The rear wheel test seems to support this.

a test for this would be to put it in diff lock with the front wheel off the ground and the main gearbox in neutral, if it is still locked (1/4 turn) then the diff bits are shot as it is trying to rotate the entire diff and the rear propshaft, if it rotates nicely then the diff internals are working.

red 90

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2012, 05:00:27 PM »
had another go at reversing and then going through all the positions, at which point the low ratio light went off, checked and i am now running free.
it must have been stuck.

thanks for all the advice.

ian