** Steering box*

· 3 · 1302

Dunc

• Name: Duncan Thomson
** Steering box*
« on: June 09, 2012, 11:24:14 AM »
I tried to "tighten" the play on my steering(4bolt steering box) and now seem to have the drop arm further down and the centre with the hex fitting further up and if anything the steering is more sloppy than ever. If I try to tighten the centre bolt down the drop arm goes even fuirther down . Am I missing something or do I have to get the bolt back on to the worm thread ?(somebody told me that bit). Any help please Duncan
If a hammer won't fix it, get a bigger hammer !!

MudBucket

Re: ** Steering box*
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 08:52:57 AM »
The adjust bolt on the top is for alignment of a runner wheel with a worm screw inside the box. there will be a sweet point at which there is "minimal" play between the worm and the runner wheel. too high and the play will be worse, too low and the play will be worse.

the  adjust bolt simply holds the top of the steering shaft in a certain up/down position, but allows it to turn. the adjustment just aligns with the input worm gear.

"minimal" play should be reasonably tight, but will still have a small backlash.

if your steering is quite sloppy, i'd also look at all the adjoining bits, like ball joints, splines and steering u/js, perhaps the bearing at the bottom of the steeing box etc.

for power steering systems, the input worm gear also has a spring loaded "choosing" valve, and the spring might be a bit weak. there is also an adjust for power steering for the tightness of the piston-to-shaft partial gear. this is adjusted on the engine side of the box, very small adjust here to take out some slop.

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
Re: ** Steering box*
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 11:36:06 AM »
In the same area - I had issues with the drop arm on mine regularly working loose, could not get it to stay tight, with resultant serious sloppiness. Lix Toll picked it up as being the wrong one - different number of splines (?) - although to the naked eye I could see no difference. Anyway, new drop arm and all is sweetness and light.
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....