Bathgate Tyro 2 June 12

· 15 · 4783

StephenO

• Name: Stephen O'#039#039Rourke
Bathgate Tyro 2 June 12
« on: June 02, 2012, 10:04:45 PM »
Great day today apart from the bloody wind, ain't half cold up there!

Thanks to Dougie and rest of the set up guys for another great event.

Not many photos today as my hands were in my pockets keeping warm all day.

But, just to prove the shinies do compete -

2007 Defender Puma Tonga Green
2016 RR Sport Autobiography Corris Grey
2005 Discovery 3 Zambezi Silver
1995 Defender 90 Coniston Green
1968 Series 2A Bronze Green - Project

Black Sheep

• "should have bought a 90"
Re: Bathgate Tyro 2 June 12
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 09:02:33 AM »
Agreed.Really enjoyed myself and that was spectating. I thought some of the sections Dougie created were a good challenge especially in the afternoon.

tomb raider

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 10:29:49 PM »
Thanks for that every one seemed to enjoy it and well done to Ian for taking first place in his disco 2 Just a shame about the wind hope to see you all next time and more shinys please we know you want to see you next time from all the set up crew

Dougie ;)

NIJ

• Name: Nigel Kelly
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 11:41:30 AM »
Another brilliant day, thanks.  A bit chilly though, just like my score!
Nigel

Land Rogie

• Name: Eileen Knight
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 08:55:46 PM »
Many thanks to Dougie and all involved..I had a great first event and also many thanks to Graeme ( I think..sorry a bit rubbish with names  ::) ) who risked his own sanity and sat in with me for the first 3 sections! I had a great weekend and amazingly despite my dodgy driving don't seem to have broken my Land Rover...result! Things can only improve..I will be back  ;D

Nick

• Name: Nick Hunter
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 11:35:06 PM »
A few pictures >here<

Thank you everybody for the great day, especially to the land owners and organisers.

Graeme

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 08:39:21 AM »
well i see the competition spirit has entered the tyros  with offroad tyres not exactly your fresh out the showroom can enter  and anybody that does enter a showroom fresh model is going to be a bit disapointed with there result

Alan A

• Name: Alan Agnew
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2012, 09:09:17 AM »
well i see the competition spirit has entered the tyros  with offroad tyres not exactly your fresh out the showroom can enter  and anybody that does enter a showroom fresh model is going to be a bit disapointed with there result

Imagine that! A Landrover fitted with offroad tyres, whatever will they think of next!

Any TYRO I have been at, I don't see anyone disappointed with their results, just a load of folk having a really good time!

NIJ

• Name: Nigel Kelly
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2012, 10:13:47 AM »
Many thanks for fine pictures, Nick.
Re tyres, Graeme.  Fair comment generally but you probably wouldn't bring a shiny Freelander.  The grass was mainly dry, and Dougie and Abby's 's car seems incredibly capable with unstoppable torque at tickover and good boots, but it didn't win, in fact it got spectacturally stopped once!  The black Disco won with less agressive tyres.  I didn't have any traction problems with ye olde Rangemasters, and Dougie actually retuned some of the courses to better suit the cars in attendance.  No complaints from me, a most enjoyable day.
Nigel

Graeme

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2012, 10:18:17 AM »
you just dont get it alan   it was the same many years ago         in all probobility when you were playing with dinky toys  the offroad tyre was firestone sats only trouble was they were a crossply tyre  and not suitable for range rovers  yet they all apeared with them  and if you wanted to at least equal them you had to join them    the same rings true for the tyros and discourages some from entering either having two sets of wheels and tyres  or fitting the go any where tyres
if you have twenty entries at the start you have the possibility of  twenty first place winners  and not restricted by the choice of tyre and its ability to get that bit further than the standard fitting
and what i have highlited may be the reason that dougie has to appeal for entries
and being cynical will not get you more entries either    but i dont run slroc or involved in its policy making

Graeme

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2012, 10:33:04 AM »
NIJ your post reminds me of an incident many years ago at bathgate in a rtv   a disco and a range rover were tying on points total for the year and that days results would determine the winner of the trophy  the diesel disco was always tickled round on the torque until it came to this brick and stalled  the driver got out and launched the brick down the gorge  altering the course he had to follow it down and replace it exactly where the brick was
avon rangemasters and michelin xm+s 244 were both very capable tyres and a lot better than the carlos fandangos that they started fitting to discos and range rovers  that lost traction on wet grass even with diff lock and 4 wheel drive

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2012, 12:21:45 PM »
Was not at the event as I was working :-(  but as a general comment:

It'll be a sad day if people get that worked up about entering Tyros to "Win" that they give up.  Graeme is picking on Tyres, one might as well say that coilers have an unfair adavantage over leafs or that kids being coached by their fathers have a better chance than someone with no experience and no coach. Should we run a 20 entry event with 20 classes to make sure no-one is disadvantaged ?  Last tyro I did, my 90 on MTs was beaten by half the field, kids, leafers, some buckshee yank. Who cares. Its an event for FUN and a chance to practise and improve, as for scores, think of it as betting with matchsticks. Lets keep endless debate about rules for those who "enjoy" F1...and Scalextric.   

What we really need to do is work on getting a positive message out there and getting more folk to turn up and then come back. One aspect that I think we could look at is how we actually coach folk on their few few events if they are maybe too shy to ask for advice. Maybe we ask for some hands up at the drivers brief and actually offer some coaching ? It would make sorting the running order harder if driver 3 was also coaching no 6 but ....  Another option might be to actually have a compltely non-competitive training group/session using the sections after the rest ? 

G.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 12:32:31 PM by genem »
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

Dave T

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2012, 12:40:41 PM »
What we really need to do is work on getting a positive message out there and getting more folk to turn up and then come back.       

Just get the sun to come out and snow and wind to stay away, it would make it far nicer. I think most people who turn up do enjoy it as it is, in my vast 2 event experience (unless someone knows better?), maybe it just isn't what some people want to do?  ???
1994 Defender 90
2016 D4 Graphite

Land Rogie

• Name: Eileen Knight
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2012, 10:08:51 PM »
genem..I'm loving the idea of driver coaching and would certainly be up for non competitive/training sessions. I would've happily paid more to have had that.There was several times I would've liked another go..smacking into gate 8 or 6 is a tad frustrating! It would be nice to be able to work through where I was going wrong. My Land Rover may be very capable but stick novice driver self behind the wheel and you might as well be asking me to drive a two wheel drive mini bus round the circuit!!! I had a great time and for me personally I want 2 things..to have fun and to learn to drive off road with my Landy..I'm not much of a competitive person..long as I better my own score haha!! Championships are something other people do and sadly due to work I won't be able to attend all the years TYRO's anyway.
I think..perhaps ignorantly from my one event experience here..that the TYRO's seem like a really good introduction for drivers new to off roading..nothing too scary (as in I'm getting out and walking home NOW!) but challenging enough...I was still looking at it sceptically...are you sure those canes are wide enough apart?.........you want me to drive UP that hill??!!!...okaaay...point and go and hope for best...back to driver coaching I think...regardless I had a great weekend..driving on the Saturday and then Marshalling at the CCV on Sunday...if only the weather had smiled on us a bit more!

Thanks for the pics Nick..they're great  :)

StephenO

• Name: Stephen O'#039#039Rourke
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2012, 10:29:57 PM »
Great photos Nick!
2007 Defender Puma Tonga Green
2016 RR Sport Autobiography Corris Grey
2005 Discovery 3 Zambezi Silver
1995 Defender 90 Coniston Green
1968 Series 2A Bronze Green - Project