Anyone fitted a defender britpart spare wheel carrier

· 5 · 4820

vag_landy

• Name: Greg Leighton
Anyone fitted a defender britpart spare wheel carrier
« on: May 22, 2012, 11:19:15 PM »
Bought a spare wheel carrier from paddocks and it turned up this morning , sadly when it arrived it was a britpart  carrier so I jogged on thinking now and again britpart can make a good bit of kit . how wrong was I fitted it and the door looks like its under alot of stress before I take the drill to it to make it sit better anyone had success with it and the instructions are the worst I have ever had two sheets with no proper diagrams of where parts go so I have a bag of nuts and bolts left over which does not inspire faith.

Greg.
Vw Audi Group
PP Golf GTi
Puma XS 90
Ex MOD 90

Dave T

Re: Anyone fitted a defender britpart spare wheel carrier
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 07:03:13 AM »
Is it one that opens with the door rather swing away? I bought one from Paddocks a couple of years ago, don't know if its Britpart or not but it has been fine and seems reasonable quality. I found the trick was to fix the lower mounting first as that gets you in the right place for everything else, that goes onto one of the bolts along the top of the rear cross member. Have a look through my chassis change post, you will come across a few photos that will show where the brackets go.
1994 Defender 90
2016 D4 Graphite

ruaritreble

• ruariboy
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 09:20:58 AM »
I just order'd and fitted one from Paddocks. Instead of an ariculated arm, it has a plastic bar sliding into a tube. Does that seem the same?
Fitted chassis mount & upper mount loosely.
Assemble it all together and line up on the door.
Big plate with a step bolts to the door,  and them the next bit bolts onto the 4 studs.
You do have the large plate? Oterwise that would increase the felxing of the door.
It's not the best, but seems to work.
Ruari 
Karis 110 - The perfect way to get a MTB to the top of the hill.
Power to the pedal!

Myrtle Air Portable - V8
------------------------
MM6IIO
------------------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/ruariboy

http://s826.photobucket.com/home/ruariboy

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 09:41:11 AM »
...at the other end of the "complex" scale, I've just refitted the spare wheel to the lightweight bonnet. 1 wheel, 3 staples bolted through the metalwork around a central upstand and a y shaped strap with a single buckle over the top. I thought it would rattle about and bounce up and down - not a bit of it, solid as a rock. Sometimes simplicity is the way forward !

G

;D
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

vag_landy

• Name: Greg Leighton
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 07:25:20 PM »
Sounds exactly like yours Ruari I have the large black plate one bolt didnt line up im loosening every thing again and trying it again.where did the large washer go on the wheel carrier hinge . Was your instructions pants too. Cheers for the responce if you see my spare wheel on the roof rack at drumclog I have failed at being a meccy fitter .
Vw Audi Group
PP Golf GTi
Puma XS 90
Ex MOD 90