Changed my rear axle and its vibrating

· 5 · 1416

scotdub

Changed my rear axle and its vibrating
« on: May 10, 2012, 07:02:17 PM »
Hi have recently fitted a salsbury rear axle to my 90 and fitted a front prop shaft.

It is vibrating when accelerating and when i let off the accelerator.

I looked at the haynes book and was talking about unbalanced prop shafts give vibrations how would I get the shaft balanced?

or is it something else uj's or something.

Thanks in advanced

Gary
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 07:55:24 PM by scotdub »

diesel jock

Re: Changed my rear axle and its vibrating
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 08:32:21 PM »
Hi mate just a thought check the propshaft yokes are alligned I.e ujs at either end are in line as in cups at 12 &6 , 3&9 if you get me came across this a few times when folk have had the shaft split at the sliding joint then put it back in a different position,wear on the ujs or sliding joint can throw the balance. Pj props in hillington balance shafts and make shafts had a few made for tractors at work no complaints give them a try 0141 8832206.
Cheers
Stewart

scotdub

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 09:21:15 PM »
Thanks for the info jock. I will have a look.

I did read that the front propshaft has the yokes at a 45 degree angle of a difference between the two. The rear is supossed to be inline. Would that make a difference?

I tryed to turn the end of my spare propshaft through 45 degrees but the slider didn't fit back in on the splines.maybe im not doing it right.
Will see what I can do tomorrow but might give them a phone,

Gary

scotdub

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 09:03:46 PM »
OK I took the propshaft back off and turned the yoke so they are now inline and the difference made was amazing.
I have ordered a set of uj's because there is a slight vibration hopefully it will be sorted soon.

Gary

diesel jock

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 10:36:22 PM »
Nice one glad you got it sorted