109 brake questions

· 4 · 1178

tgreer

109 brake questions
« on: May 06, 2012, 11:42:06 AM »
Hi Guys,

I'm midst replacing the brakes on my 109, and I have the new brake pipes, which is all going well. The problem I have is the nuts that came off the old rubber pipes which held them onto the brackets are naffed, so I need to replace them... anyone got an idea what size they are?

Also... On the front wheels the brake cylinder has 2 holes, one flat and one at an angle... can anyone remind me which one is the one to the bottom cylinder and which one is the input... does it matter?

Cheers
1975 Series 3 Land Rover - ex-MOD 109" Hard Top
3.0L V6 Ford Essex

tgreer

Re: 109 brake questions
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 12:21:32 PM »
Ok.. I believe they're 7/16" UNF... Off to Bills Tool Store I go.... Still looking for an answer on the 2nd question.

Cheers
3.0L V6 Ford Essex

shug

• Name: Hugh Kay
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 03:10:18 PM »
hi thomas
if you are also changing your metal pipes you can cut a nut sized piece off your old brake pipe ends with a hacksaw  dont make it to thick or you might not get your new brake pipe on tight enough.

if you are fitting new copper pipes change route of pipe it makes it easier to bleed ,flexy is as standard mounted to bracket at top of swivel take pipe here to bottom cylinder then one more pipe from bottom cylinder to top cylinder then your bleed nipple fits in last hole flat one is fine. when you bleed it make sure adjusters are right back, using a pressure bleeding kit helps. this is how i have mine and its fine to bleed up.

hope this helps shug...

tgreer

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 03:19:11 PM »
hi thomas
if you are also changing your metal pipes you can cut a nut sized piece off your old brake pipe ends with a hacksaw  dont make it to thick or you might not get your new brake pipe on tight enough.

if you are fitting new copper pipes change route of pipe it makes it easier to bleed ,flexy is as standard mounted to bracket at top of swivel take pipe here to bottom cylinder then one more pipe from bottom cylinder to top cylinder then your bleed nipple fits in last hole flat one is fine. when you bleed it make sure adjusters are right back, using a pressure bleeding kit helps. this is how i have mine and its fine to bleed up.

hope this helps shug...

If you're visiting, bring an angle grinder? :P got 2 nuts on the flexi hoses at the front I can't get off...
3.0L V6 Ford Essex